'22 vs '19 first impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texevora

Reaction score
Picked up my '22 Limited SPP 4WD to replace my '19 Limited 4WD a few days ago. Having driven it a few days now, sharing my initial thoughts to compare and contrast the two.

PROS
Auto-stop-start is a lot less intrusive/noticeable
. Engine startup is almost imperceptible on the '22, whereas on the '19 it was very noticeable. The steering wheel also doesn't go dead on the '22 when the engine auto-stops, whereas on the '19 it did. I was annoyed to the point on the '19 to get the Auto-Stop Eliminator, but i'm not sure i care enough to bother to do so on the '22.

Exhaust note sounds better/throatier.

Steering feel improved.
Not quite as dead/numb as on the '19.

CONS
Cost-cutting by Ford is quite obvious vs '19.
LED reflectors instead of projector housings, some buttons seem cheaper/flimsier, glovebox assembly feels cheaper/flimsier, deleted floormat anchors on the passenger side or 2nd row,

Lack of Active Park Assist. I know this is due to my particular options pkg (ie HD Tow in this case), but still annoying that what was included in a similarly spec'ed '19 is now gone.

Random Annoyances: power running boards are much louder when actuating vs '19, driver's side mirror shakes with music from the bass (never had this problem on my '19), side-view camera housings for some reason are much larger than they were and look like ugly warts vs almost flush-mount on the '19s, and lastly, the red calipers on the SPP seem gimmicky (same ugly/puny cast calipers, but with red paint).

I also have an annoying constant audio stuttering with Apple CarPlay, seems like the Sync 4A processor just can't keep up with the data being fed to it. Hoping a Sync update (if it's even available) will fix. Pretty tough to enjoy the 22-speaker audio system when it's constantly stuttering.

Lmk if any questions!

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Regarding the audio quality during Car Play use. It would be interesting to have someone with an Android phone connect to your Sync system and see if the same issue is present.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice write up!
Carplay seems buggy, not sure if that’s a ford issue or an apple issue.
I have it in a couple cars from various makes (Hyundai, ford, GM) when it works it’s great. Wireless is 2-3x less consistent than wired. In the Hyundai I can’t even use it wireless reliably.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure what model you bought, but if it has the HO 3.5L in it, it gets the exhaust from the Navigator.
That exhaust drove my wife crazy, because it droned sooo much on the highway at like 70mph in her 18 Navigator. We NEVER took it on any longer drives, because it gave her such a headache. Its like the muffler itself under the second row passenger side doesn't have enough sound deadening in it. The sound comes up through the floor from the muffler case, not from the actual tailpipe noise.

OP
OP
T

texevora

Reaction score
Seems like wireless Apple Carplay eliminates the stuttering, so I'll just stick with that for now.

One thing I forgot to mention (others have already mentioned it): it is incomprehensible why Ford decided to eliminate the physical camera button and place it in an on-screen submenu requiring 2 (slow to react) touchscreen presses. So so dumb. Who in their engineering department thought this was a good idea???

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems like wireless Apple Carplay eliminates the stuttering, so I'll just stick with that for now.

One thing I forgot to mention (others have already mentioned it): it is incomprehensible why Ford decided to eliminate the physical camera button and place it in an on-screen submenu requiring 2 (slow to react) touchscreen presses. So so dumb. Who in their engineering department thought this was a good idea???
The same idiot that designs stuff and never actually uses it.. Its only going to get worse

RABAYL01

Reaction score
Thanks for making me feel better about keeping my '19MY Limited with HDTTP. I do agree the fact that in order for Ford to get rid of the base halogen headlights, they had to dis-content the upper end level to offer the same headlight across the board.

The led projects from 18-21 are more sophisticated looking and I still like my 19's more cohesive look on the front end.