'23 towing with HD tow - what are ppl using for keeping level?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kreutz73

Reaction score
Just traded in our 16 limited for a 23 platinum. I've towed a race car trailer since we had our 2007 expy. The air level in the '07 was fool proof. The auto level dampeners they went to on the '16 worked well but you always left after initial hookup with a little sag, it took a few miles to level itself out.

now it looks like the expy's have nothing, the 23 just has ccd shocks which I don't believe do anything to help with level. anyone doing aftermarket airbags or anything like that? what are folks doing to keep good level and decent handling?

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just traded in our 16 limited for a 23 platinum. I've towed a race car trailer since we had our 2007 expy. The air level in the '07 was fool proof. The auto level dampeners they went to on the '16 worked well but you always left after initial hookup with a little sag, it took a few miles to level itself out.

now it looks like the expy's have nothing, the 23 just has ccd shocks which I don't believe do anything to help with level. anyone doing aftermarket airbags or anything like that? what are folks doing to keep good level and decent handling?
Would a sway bar/weight distribution hitch work? Haven't trailered with the Platinum yet, but had one for all my Navigators before this.

Jon2099

Reaction score
If you are towing within the weight limits of the 23 Platinum then a properly configured weight distribution hitch will work to keep everything level. I use an Equalizer hitch and it works well for towing our ~75000 lb loaded trailer. It, and many other weight distributing hitches also help control sway.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the towing guide. You need a weight distribution hitch over a certain tongue weight.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are towing within the weight limits of the 23 Platinum then a properly configured weight distribution hitch will work to keep everything level. I use an Equalizer hitch and it works well for towing our ~75000 lb loaded trailer. It, and many other weight distributing hitches also help control sway.
That is a lot of weight!

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If anyone has put air suspension in their Expy for towing reasons, I’d also be interested to hear about your experience.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Airbags are only designed to level the vehicle with an internal load -- cargo and passengers -- not to level the truck with a load on the trailer hitch -- a cosmetic level. Any trailer over 6,000 pounds requires a WDH which distributes -- the D in WDH -- the tongue weight some to the front axle and some back to the trailer axle. Safe towing of conventional trailers requires a minimum of 10% of the trailer weight on the ball or in this case 750 pounds which may exceed the cargo capacity of the SUV is there's a bunch of stuff inside.

Without a WDH there's much less weight on the front (steering) axle which makes handling squirrely and unsafe. WDH puts much of it back.

Equalizer(tm) 1,000/10,000 pound WDH works for me and has for 20 years. Same trailer, same WDH, 3 different SUVs.

-- Chuck

Last edited:

RSNovi

Reaction score
I used to regularly tow a 34' travel trailer (total length including the front hitch area) about 8500 pounds with about 850 on the hitch using a 2020 Expedition Limited standard length. I used a weight distribution hitch like the Equalizer. Mine was the Husky brand.

The Expedition was always level with this hitch. We pulled the trailer from Michigan to Myrtle Beach last year. It actually towed reasonably well and I don't think the weight was really an issue. It was the length of the trailer and wind. When it was windy it would get a bit stressful. Today I use a GMC 2500 HD to pull, but I we still have the Expedition and wouldn't hesitate to pull with it if needed.

Speedboosted

Reaction score
WDH will be your answer, and most of them offer some sort of sway control which will also improve the towing experience. I use a Fastway E2 on my 2017 and it's great with a ~6k lb trailer hooked up.