'23 towing with HD tow - what are ppl using for keeping level?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had two GM SUV's with air bag leveling. Loved them. I tow a 32 ft toy hauler and have the same ride level from a WDH. The WDH that have the sway control build in them are the best. Then you don't have to install a sway bar as well, but you can get the WDH at Harbor Freight and it will do the job you need.

BigRedTruck

Reaction score
I used to regularly tow a 34' travel trailer (total length including the front hitch area) about 8500 pounds with about 850 on the hitch using a 2020 Expedition Limited standard length. I used a weight distribution hitch like the Equalizer. Mine was the Husky brand.

The Expedition was always level with this hitch. We pulled the trailer from Michigan to Myrtle Beach last year. It actually towed reasonably well and I don't think the weight was really an issue. It was the length of the trailer and wind. When it was windy it would get a bit stressful. Today I use a GMC 2500 HD to pull, but I we still have the Expedition and wouldn't hesitate to pull with it if needed.

I presume you have a sway bar. If not, it's easily added.

We tow a ~7000 lb (29') travel trailer with a 2021 Expedition (has HD tow package). When we upgraded to the larger trailer, we switched to a sway CONTROL hitch (from Blue Ox). It actively pushes the trailer back into position behind the truck. It makes the the truck a bit twitchy in a crosswind, as the force to push the trailer back into position gets transferred to the truck. But once I got used to that, we have never had a problem with sway.

To anyone following this thread: I can't stress enough... be sure your weight distributing hitch (WDH) is adjusted correctly. Measure the height of your fenders on level ground without the trailer, then repeat after hitching the (loaded) trailer. If the front fenders are higher, you are likely UNLOADING the front axle, and that can be really bad.

Once you are satisfied with the height of the fenders, take your loaded truck and trailer to a scale and weigh all the axles (front, rear, trailer). Create an account at weighmytruck.com and you should find a public scale near you. Just drive on, open the app and click, and it will send you the results. Next, repeat without the trailer, and compare the results. Also, confirm that the axle weights are within the limits in the manual.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
I use an E2 Fastway as well, non-max and it works well for our 27 ft ~7500 lbs trailer. WDH is mandatory after 6k like was mentioned. There are quite a few threads on this topic in the forum. Good luck with the tow, I notice not a lot of car haulers have WDH setups, I am sure they are above 6k loaded. 2x what BigRedTruck says, do the work to make it safe and heed the limits.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My trailer is only 5k and I feel even that is way better with a WDH. I once had a trailer that was only 2100lbs that had trailer breaks and I was sold on trailer brakes after that. It technically didn't need the brakes but was so much better to pull with them. The WDH is the same way, just so much nicer to pull with one.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The consensus by far is a weight distribution hitch. I agree 100%. Those do wonders. If your back end is sagging low its a sign something is not right. Too much Toung weight or uneven distribution. Worst thing you can do is try to upgrade the suspension to fix the issue as its working how its supposed to and telling you that you need to adjust the trailer with a WDH, etc. (granted the trailer is in spec with the suv)

Deep8174

Reaction score
I am an Andersen WDH convert and love it. No more squeaks and rear axle hopping over bumps. Much more lighter and easier to set up (reduced payload #s). Got it dialed in correctly and it tows great.

CCDC

Reaction score
I tow a 28' travel trailer with a 10,000lb equalizer wdh and added the sumo helper spring. Helper springs seems to help a little, but no airbags for our expys are available. Shocks are inside the springs so no room for airbags to go which I had on my previous escalade setup. We're right at max tongue weight (I bought a scale) and it sags a little more than I'd like. The hitch has as much tension on the bars as I feel comfortable using; could probably use the 12,000 hitch. I think its a byproduct of the IRS vs solid axle setup for towing.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Your tongue weight is 920 pounds? How heavy is the whole trailer?

12,000 pound WDH won't change the maximum towing capacity which remains 9200 pounds and maximum tongue weight stays at 920 pounds. The way I understand this is the WDH weight bars need to have a bit of spring in them to absorb shocks but I don't know the structural ramifications of bars that are too rigid.

-- Chuck

JVinOlathe

Reaction score
Airbags are only designed to level the vehicle with an internal load -- cargo and passengers -- not to level the truck with a load on the trailer hitch -- a cosmetic level. Any trailer over 6,000 pounds requires a WDH which distributes -- the D in WDH -- the tongue weight some to the front axle and some back to the trailer axle. Safe towing of conventional trailers requires a minimum of 10% of the trailer weight on the ball or in this case 750 pounds which may exceed the cargo capacity of the SUV is there's a bunch of stuff inside.

Without a WDH there's much less weight on the front (steering) axle which makes handling squirrely and unsafe. WDH puts much of it back.

Equalizer(tm) 1,000/10,000 pound WDH works for me and has for 20 years. Same trailer, same WDH, 3 different SUVs.

-- Chuck
This is an excellent reply with correct information. Many are under the impression that the max. allowable is what they can tow safely, or in some case, just a suggestion. In reality, the max. allowable requires other factors to be met and the actual max "allowable" is much lower. This is a very good video that outlines the factors involved in towing.

People need to realize that if they are towing outside the actual limits and there is an accident, the insurance company will most likely refuse to cover.