2H/4H/4L shift knob fell off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdNope13

Reaction score
2017 Expedition EL
My knob shifter for switching between 2H and 4A/H/L fell off. Transmission is in 2H and runs fine, but I need this fixed before next road trip - is this a dealership fix or can my local mechanic reinstall/replace this knob? Or can I do it myself??

Thanks

07mustangman

Reaction score
I just bought a 2017 Limited in June of last year and the same thing happened to me after just owning it a month. I ordered one online, I think cost was around $40. Can't remember where I ordered from. Google it and you should be able to find one. I found some videos on YouTube about replacing it. Not hard to do.

Brandonian

Reaction score
The knob should pop out and "plug" into the harness behind it - think it looks similar to this one? You can buy a new knob assembly and gauge on how to pull it out. Sometimes just a trim tool - I haven't had to pull these pieces before. Don't use a screwdriver, it'll mar the dash points up :).

Brandonian

Reaction score
Oh if you look at those pictures I already see those extended clip arms, so you put in a small trim tool to start pushing those in towards to the switch housing, and then pull out on it and it'll start to pop out :).