2nd Gen vs 3rd Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t drive a 5.4 3 valve/ 6 speed if you are leaning toward a 2nd gen, it’ll be harder to settle for the old 2 valve. They feel like slugs with that old 4R70, no passing power compared to the 3-valve with variable cam timing and 6R80. Other then that fine trucks.

MasterX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don’t drive a 5.4 3 valve/ 6 speed if you are leaning toward a 2nd gen, it’ll be harder to settle for the old 2 valve. They feel like slugs with that old 4R70, no passing power compared to the 3-valve with variable cam timing and 6R80. Other then that fine trucks.

You seem to be forgetting that 05+ has the 3V with VCT, i would know, i have one, and yes im quite sure its a 3V, because the heads match my 2007 Mustang GT which i race. And that 5.4 3V has tons of power. I actually have a 2009 Expedition also, and while i do like the 6 speed more for its little bit more agility thanks to those 2 extra gears, its not a massive difference. I actually drive the 05 mainly as its the 4x4 and the one i have all tricked out, and rednecked up the way i like it. See here:
https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...r-heavy-towing-package-4x4.43445/#post-391283

And its now got 210,000 on the clock, with no oil leaks, and everything still works.

BTW, got some 3V haters in here, but i can attest, after all the work i have done on my Mustang which is also 3V, haters will always find something to B**** about, i have found my 3V to be FAR superior to my older 2V mustangs in both power and reliability.
I have 3 of the 3V engine vehicles:
2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, 4x4, Heavy Towing Package, 5.4L 3V with 4R75 Trans
2007 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe, Manual, tons of mods, but factory internals and solid as a rock, tweaked, modded, dyno-tuned, Mach 400 Clutch, Alum-Driveshaft, intake, Exhaust, headers, Android 8 Head unit, Nitto 555 G2 Tires, and a lot more.
2009 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, 4x2, Heavy Towing Package, 5.4 3V with 6 speed trans

I also came from a 2004 Mustang Cobra before it got totaled in a parking lot, so im quite familiar with these mod motors, the 3V is just fine, anyone who thinks its a turd, or is defective in design, just got a bad one, or doesn't know engines. Other than some earlier versions that got problematic Cam Phasers i have heard from other people about, i haven't seen these problems.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You seem to be forgetting that 05+ has the 3V with VCT, i would know, i have one, and yes im quite sure its a 3V, because the heads match my 2007 Mustang GT which i race. And that 5.4 3V has tons of power. I actually have a 2009 Expedition also, and while i do like the 6 speed more for its little bit more agility thanks to those 2 extra gears, its not a massive difference. I actually drive the 05 mainly as its the 4x4 and the one i have all tricked out, and rednecked up the way i like it. See here:
https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...r-heavy-towing-package-4x4.43445/#post-391283

I’d bet your 2009 isn’t 3.73 gears, it’s a noticeable difference with 3.73s.

Last edited:

MasterX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually it is, heres the sheet, BTW, due to my experience i can tell the difference between the motor being significantly stronger, or just some better trans gearing making it seem that way.

Attachments

• 1FMFU17589EB27550_WS (1).pdf
    158.3 KB · Views: 6

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score

And its now got 210,000 on the clock, with no oil leaks, and everything still works.

BTW, got some 3V haters in here, but i can attest, after all the work i have done on my Mustang which is also 3V, haters will always find something to B**** about, i have found my 3V to be FAR superior to my older 2V mustangs in both power and reliability.
I have 3 of the 3V engine vehicles:
2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, 4x4, Heavy Towing Package, 5.4L 3V with 4R75 Trans
2007 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe, Manual, tons of mods, but factory internals and solid as a rock, tweaked, modded, dyno-tuned, Mach 400 Clutch, Alum-Driveshaft, intake, Exhaust, headers, Android 8 Head unit, Nitto 555 G2 Tires, and a lot more.
2009 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, 4x2, Heavy Towing Package, 5.4 3V with 6 speed trans

I also came from a 2004 Mustang Cobra before it got totaled in a parking lot, so im quite familiar with these mod motors, the 3V is just fine, anyone who thinks its a turd, or is defective in design, just got a bad one, or doesn't know engines. Other than some earlier versions that got problematic Cam Phasers i have heard from other people about, i haven't seen these problems.
The Mustang and Expedition engines are similar in design, but not interchangeable and internally different. One designed for performance, one for towing and low rpm driving.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
The 3v 5.4 are notorious for VVT failures. It is well documented. If you are a mechanic you know this to be true. Maybe not the 3 you own of course
The 2v 5.4 is not a fast truck which is what seems to be of interest to you but the torque curve is low and for what it was designed to be at that time has proven to be the most trouble free platform in 5.4 series due to simplicity.

MasterX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 3v 5.4 are notorious for VVT failures. It is well documented. If you are a mechanic you know this to be true. Maybe not the 3 you own of course
The 2v 5.4 is not a fast truck which is what seems to be of interest to you but the torque curve is low and for what it was designed to be at that time has proven to be the most trouble free platform in 5.4 series due to simplicity.

As i said, get the revised design cam phasers(and not the dorman ones), and put the issue to bed forever, all engines have their little issues when first designed, the 2V had ****** head flow, better on the PI heads but still not great.

MasterX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Mustang and Expedition engines are similar in design, but not interchangeable and internally different. One designed for performance, one for towing and low rpm driving.

Didn't say the whole engine was interchangeable as in swapping them between, but the alternators, heads, valve covers, sensors, many brackets, cooling tubes, pistons, seals, water pump, spark plugs, coils, most timing components, most of the gaskets, and countless other parts are fully interchangeable. The main differences are the stroke(Crank, Rods, Deck height, timing chain), manifolds, cams, and tuning.

albertobb

Reaction score
Hello
Greetings
A query, in the third generation with 5.4L sefi, vvt, ffv, soch

If you have a variable opening valve and sequential fuel injection, in all the third generation, that is, 2007 to 2014, or 2009 to 2014, does anyone know?
because perhaps within generations the 5.4L models improve and the last one will correct the detected faults
good day

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360