2nd row captain chairs versus 2nd row split bench with dogs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Stucky

Reaction score
We have a 2020 Expy Max; pull a 29' travel trailer, with 3 Saint Bernards. Buster, the guy on the right is now the biggest of the 3 at just a hair under 200 lbs. The bucket seats do not fold down they tilt forward for 3rd row access. We originally wanted a bench seat, couldn't find one. We noticed that the seat tilted forward gave better access for the dogs to jump in - so we went for it. Turned out to work quite well for us. They get where they want to. The middle dog wants to be in the back by the AC vent, The left dog loves to sit in one of the buckets. She'll move between the back seat and flat. Buster likes to be between the buckets or in the back. It works for us.

3 headed dog 4x6 300.jpg

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 2020 Expy Max; pull a 29' travel trailer, with 3 Saint Bernards. Buster, the guy on the right is now the biggest of the 3 at just a hair under 200 lbs. The bucket seats do not fold down they tilt forward for 3rd row access. We originally wanted a bench seat, couldn't find one. We noticed that the seat tilted forward gave better access for the dogs to jump in - so we went for it. Turned out to work quite well for us. They get where they want to. The middle dog wants to be in the back by the AC vent, The left dog loves to sit in one of the buckets. She'll move between the back seat and flat. Buster likes to be between the buckets or in the back. It works for us.
I mean between those three, you've basically tapped out the payload... Add the trailer tongue weight on there, oh billy!

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the average family having a bit less than 2 kids, captains service the majority of the market. It was a hell of a time trying to find a platinum bench.

For large people requiring to go in third row, the center 3rd row seat is extremely narrow. It’s not comfortable at all to sit on as an adult. It’s the worst seat in the car...

Second center seat is more comfortable than middle third. Id have an adult sit in one side in the 3rd row and push the 2nd row chair in front forward. You can also slide the 2nd row center seat forward where’s there should be enough leg space (I think as much as second row sides).

I’ve had both bench and captains on multiple cars. Each has its pros/cons depending on family makeup, usage of vehicle, age of family, etc...

the comments of the bench looking “poor”, LOL. It feels good not to have a poor soul in the third row on road trips sitting next to floor to ceiling cargo.

Start the flames!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the bench seat move forward and back like the captains? Just curious.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the bench seat move forward and back like the captains? Just curious.

Yes. All three seats slide forward and back individually. The center seat will slide forward within a couple of inches of the center console. All three fold individually. Only the outer two tip and slide.

Saltwater Soul

Reaction score
I wondered about all the points discussed so far as I had a second row bench in the previous SUV. We got the captains chairs and love it. I have two teens that really enjoy their space. The friends that come along like the easy access to the back. The two dogs do just great and have easy access to the back but move closer to the front as seats become available.

I will say that adults usually love the second row captains a lot. If the wife and I go out with another couple and I drive the Expedition, I usually get a comment about how comfortable and luxurious the vehicle is. Interestingly enough, we don't get that same reaction when we drive the Mercedes sedan. Perhaps it is an expectations thing.

Jphill5688

Reaction score
Our 100 pound golden prefers the bench seat in 2018 expedition. He avoids our 2016 explore with middle bucket seats. Won’t even get in that car. You’re a Rottweiler will be met way more comfortable with bench seats.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wondered about all the points discussed so far as I had a second row bench in the previous SUV. We got the captains chairs and love it. I have two teens that really enjoy their space. The friends that come along like the easy access to the back. The two dogs do just great and have easy access to the back but move closer to the front as seats become available.

I will say that adults usually love the second row captains a lot. If the wife and I go out with another couple and I drive the Expedition, I usually get a comment about how comfortable and luxurious the vehicle is. Interestingly enough, we don't get that same reaction when we drive the Mercedes sedan. Perhaps it is an expectations thing.

Definitely an expectation thing from my experience. Surprised a lot of people with the expedition, people who are used to the german brands.

When people get in the Mercedes, they're like "it better be luxurious, you rich ****. frankly there's more plastic inside from what I expected". :-D

I don't get any luxurious feedback from the BMW i just sold and the current Mercedes sedan I have. They actually comment how they're surprised how rough it drives (C63S)