2nd Row Seat Removal in 3rd Gen [Brief how to]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Previously, I posted asking how to remove the 2nd row seats in a 3rd gen Expedition and it seemed no one knew how. One guy actually posted that he just tore everything out and superglued it back in. :D Well I didn't want to go that route so tonight I took another look at it and as it turns out, it's actually really easy to get these seats out. I did this at night so I wasn't able to take many pics, but this is really easy.

First, remove the middle trim piece at the front base of the seat. To do this, insert a plastic trim removal tool underneath the trim piece and pry upward one section at a time. You don't really need to know where the clips are in order to accomplish this, but here's a shot of them nonetheless.

24ou3w1.jpg

Next, remove the middle trim piece at the rear base of the seat. Do this by reaching through the back, grabbing the front of the trim piece (see first photo below this paragraph), and pulling upward. If need be you can insert a pry tool into the sides of these piece to push the locking tabs inwards (see second photo below this paragraph). Apply firm, but consistent pressure. These pieces are a little tricky to get up without breaking so be careful.

2eulu7c.jpg

2wm0200.jpg

Now unplug the wiring harness for the seat. Also unplug the single retaining clip that holds the wire to the seat base.

mw6us2.jpg

Then remove the two (2) T25 Torx screws at the front sides of the seat base.

2r3ung0.jpg

Then remove the two (2) T25 Torx screws at the rear of the seat base (no photo, but you can't miss them).

Finally, remove the four (4) large bolts that secure the seat to the frame of the vehicle. I used a 5/8 socket for this, but I believe the correct size is 15mm (I didn't have one). An extension is helpful for the rear bolts as the wrench is a tight fit there, but it's not necessary.

Now you just need to physically pull the seats out. Keep in mind they weigh approximately 80 lbs each. Put the four (4) large bolts back in. I put a little Vaseline on mine before doing so as they were already starting to seize up in there. The wiring harness can be left loose, taped down, or tucked in the channel that is under the carpet just behind where the seat was mounted.

Last edited:

dmercer3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks for posting this, its on my list of things to do.

I would love to upgrade to captains chairs in the second row as well. hoping someone wants to do a swap one day ;)

Could you also post pictures of what he finished look of the seating area and floor now look like?

OP
OP
K

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have the bench seats, you can simply remove the middle section and add armrests to the other seats. The holes are there - just hidden under the upholstery.

My seats are staying out as the back is dog territory, but I can snap a pic once the rain stops. There are 2 square areas without carpet, but I actually plan on putting rubber matting down throughout the entire rear of the truck so not an issue for me. I'm getting really sick of spending $10 and 45 minutes of my time vacuuming every week. :p

dmercer3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
great job! really appreciate the extra picture, this project just looks a lot easier now. Thank you.