$3,000 Estimate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Golface

Reaction score
I was driving my 2018 Expedition(61,000 miles) back from Georgia to northern Ohio when the check engine light came on. I kept driving to the next sizable town in Kentucky when the light started to flash and the engine misfired and decelerated. (I am completely non-mechanical so pardon my descriptions). The dealer there was very helpful, but I was anxious to get home last night. I made it with no further issues (except the check engine light came back on steady about 100 miles from home but with no misfires). My local dealership today told me the repair had something to do with the VCT and solenoids and something about a cam phaser. The estimate is just over $2,900. Has anyone else had issues with this and does this sound like the correct diagnosis?

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can search several hundred threads on here about 4th Gen. Cam Phasers repalcements, covered under warranty by Ford.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you still buy an Extended Warranty?
Many recent threads on purchasing an Extended Warranty from some Ford Dealers that offer it at reasonable prices.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You should be able to buy an extended warranty without an inspection. Check Lombard Ford's warranty site to see what the parameters are. I think they only inspect high mileage or older cars. I'd buy the powertrain warranty and then have at it. Will save you $2,000 and give you another 50K miles of protection.

My 2010 started throwing phaser codes at 90,000 miles so I bought a warranty. Haven't used it yet, but I'm good till 140,000 miles.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try calling Ford corporate to see if they can help. This is a well known issue and 1200mi might be "close enough" to get it covered under warranty.

OP
OP
G

Golface

Reaction score
Thank you for your advise and replies. I will check into the extended warranties. I'm going to like this forum!

tesoroman

Reaction score
A lot of companies will sell you “extended warranties”, however; I have never heard of one that will cover anything you already have a problem with. You could be buying something for big $$$ just to turn around and still have the same original problem/bill. Probably not what you wanted to hear. I do agree with calling Ford and seeing if anything can be done since sounds like it could be a known problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni