$3,300 for a TPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My local stealership just called with an estimate for a failed TPS. They said "$3,300....it needs a new throttlebody, a catalytic converter, and O2 sensors".

With blood boiling...(I'm not a novice at all with auto repair) I said..'so you're telling me that the vehicle was running just fine, no performance issues, no CEL, and then the wrench lite comes on, and all of those parts have suddenly failed at the same time?"

No answer.

I told them to get me an estimate for the TPS only. They still haven't called back. I could do it myself, I just didn't want to. I'm probably going to get it home and do it anyway.

Back story: Wife was 80 miles from home, the vehicle went into limp mode so I had it towed to the dealer at home. Its cold, windy and I just didn't feel like doing it. Its a 2008 Mountaineer, not an Expy.

The TPS is about $50-$60.

Scumbags.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL, sometimes you have to laugh at these stealerships and their stupidity. The fact they would even say that is somewhat amusing. They think everyone they work for doesn't know how to turn a wrench. What vehicle was this nonsense for? Ah just saw the 08 mountaineer, yep you summed it up. I think you are better off finding a good shop, my shop can service my ford better than ford can I'd bet. I fix mine myself for the most part and but occasionally use the shop as well. I use Motorcraft parts and supply the Shop with said parts of I want a certain part to be used and they are normally good about it. You have to watch these dealers with a close eye just like any mechanic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its a 2008 Merc Mountaineer Premier 4.6L V8, ~130k on the clock.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since it just happened at work tonight, I'll share a dealership story (rant). I responded to a single vehicle crash (I'm a police officer) where a car crossed into the wrong lane of a busy road, crashed into parked cars, ping ponged back across the road into a pole and some trees, and almost hit a day care. Turns out the kid driving is a service tech at the local Ford dealer taking a customer car on a test drive. Unfortunately for the customer, the kid decided to shoot up heroin during the drive, and nodded off causing the crash. The moral for me is, if there is any possible way I can do the work myself, do it before trusting some stranger like this kid.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My local stealership just called with an estimate for a failed TPS. They said "$3,300....it needs a new throttlebody, a catalytic converter, and O2 sensors".

With blood boiling...(I'm not a novice at all with auto repair) I said..'so you're telling me that the vehicle was running just fine, no performance issues, no CEL, and then the wrench lite comes on, and all of those parts have suddenly failed at the same time?"

No answer.

I told them to get me an estimate for the TPS only. They still haven't called back. I could do it myself, I just didn't want to. I'm probably going to get it home and do it anyway.

Back story: Wife was 80 miles from home, the vehicle went into limp mode so I had it towed to the dealer at home. Its cold, windy and I just didn't feel like doing it. Its a 2008 Mountaineer, not an Expy.

The TPS is about $50-$60.

Scumbags.

Since you posted the story - you should include more details such as the dealer name and address, and the name of the service advisor you dealt with.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never had a TPS go bad but have read here & there that normally there is an accompanying 1) poor acceleration, 2) no cruise control, 3) surge when slowing to a stop. And almost always a P2106 or similar.

So my question is, how did you determine it was a TPS gone bad? And what does an 80 mile tow cost?

OP
OP
B

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never had a TPS go bad but have read here & there that normally there is an accompanying 1) poor acceleration, 2) no cruise control, 3) surge when slowing to a stop. And almost always a P2106 or similar.

So my question is, how did you determine it was a TPS gone bad? And what does an 80 mile tow cost?
Two things occurred simultaneously. The wrench lite came on, and the truck went into limp mode, which allows you to drive slowly, like 5 miles an hour. She managed to to get to a Jiffy Lube, who pulled the codes. Don't remember the number, but it indicated a TPS failure.

I have AAA with 200 miles of "free' towing annually.

OP
OP
B

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: They tell me they can't replace just the TPS, must do the whole throttlebody assembly for $685. I told them to forget it and that I'd be picking it up later today. Its about 15 miles; hopefully the sensor will work long enough to get it home. If not, AAA gets another call.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And.....done! The new TPS is in, calibrated, test drive was a success. $79.99+tax. Only snapped one of the bolts.[/QUOTE

I was going to suggest the junkyard and some TPS cleaner but really glad you got it sorted w/o getting dealer skewered!

jeff