3.31 vs 3.73 gear ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael A

Reaction score
I'm going to buy or lease a 2019 Expedition. What I'm finding is an abundance of "towing packages" on the vehicles I'm interested in. I won't be towing. What's the downside of having that option besides the additional up front cost? I'm planning a few highway trips at first then mostly in town driving.

Shutterbug57

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to buy or lease a 2019 Expedition. What I'm finding is an abundance of "towing packages" on the vehicles I'm interested in. I won't be towing. What's the downside of having that option besides the additional up front cost? I'm planning a few highway trips at first then mostly in town driving.

Possibly slightly lower gas mileage & $1,500 cost to purchase are the cons. Better acceleration, a 4 low tranny and possibly better resale value, as well as an ability to tow are the pros.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Downsides? What Shutterbug said. But there's additional advantages: upgraded radiator*, locking rear differential, true 4 wheel drive, upgraded rear axle weight rating/increased payload, and the ability to tow the Expedition with all four wheels on the ground.

*traditionally, heat management has been the hard nut to crack with respect to long-term durability of turbo engines. If you're leasing this is probably a don't care. If you're buying to have for a decade or two, this would be a bigger positive.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Here you go
63FED40F-E4A7-4456-9637-D830BF6D1A24.jpeg

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a couple of threads on here already about this. Folks have strong opinions. The chart #16plati posted is really all you need to know...the rest is just opinions.

And here's mine......

I don't tow anything so I didn't get it. I was already spending $80k and didn't see the need to spend an additional $1500 for something I did not need. Folks on here will tell you "but you did need it even if you aren't towing...for the upgraded radiator and a locking rear diff and the faster 0-60 time and the higher resale value and yada yada yada." But here's the thing: no, I don't.

I don't need an upgraded radiator because I'm not towing and the "regular" radiator is just fine in all other cases.

I'm not rock crawling with this thing and the "regular" 4wd is just fine for the light off-roading I need to do to get to campsites.

I'm not racing anyone, so I don't need a faster 0-60 time. 400 hp is just fine thankyouverymuch. The thing is damn sprightly with the 3.31 and I'm happy to have the marginally better highway gas mileage.

The higher resale value is arguable, but if I invest my $1500 I'll make more than I would have in resale.

I'm not pulling the thing behind an RV, so I don't care if it can be towed flat or not...if it breaks down, that's the towing company's problem.

The package is called a towing package for a reason. Sure there are other benefits, but it's not called a "performance package". It's for towing.

So again, 16Plati's chart is where you really should start and stop your analysis. If something on there makes you want to spend $1500, go for it. If it doesn't, don't.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One other item to add to your consideration is what you plan to do with tires in the future. There is a segment of people on here that are looking to put bigger meat on the truck and if that is your plan you will be happier with the 3.73 gearing. If you plan to keep the tires stock size then it doesn't matter so much.

I will say, I had a hard time finding an expedition with the tow package and passed up buying several because it didn't have that. I will concede that most people buying expeditions probably don't need the tow package but I have a camper and needed something to tow. My search was pretty unique, I didn't want a fancy suv, I was searching for an xlt with tow package.

I haven't looked closely at multiple expeditions but do they really put a different radiator in the ones with tow packages? It is pretty common for manufacturers to use the same radiator for tow and not tow. Sometimes they even have the same transmission cooler and oil cooler on the non-tow package vehicles. Not sure if Ford does this or not. I have been in the mopar world for a while and my jeeps all had the same equipment regardless of tow or no tow. The 2018-2019 was a pretty big deviation on how Ford handled the tow package from the previous gen. It seemed like almost every trim level had the tow package included.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One other item to add to your consideration is what you plan to do with tires in the future. There is a segment of people on here that are looking to put bigger meat on the truck and if that is your plan you will be happier with the 3.73 gearing. If you plan to keep the tires stock size then it doesn't matter so much.

I will say, I had a hard time finding an expedition with the tow package and passed up buying several because it didn't have that. I will concede that most people buying expeditions probably don't need the tow package but I have a camper and needed something to tow. My search was pretty unique, I didn't want a fancy suv, I was searching for an xlt with tow package.

I haven't looked closely at multiple expeditions but do they really put a different radiator in the ones with tow packages? It is pretty common for manufacturers to use the same radiator for tow and not tow. Sometimes they even have the same transmission cooler and oil cooler on the non-tow package vehicles. Not sure if Ford does this or not. I have been in the mopar world for a while and my jeeps all had the same equipment regardless of tow or no tow. The 2018-2019 was a pretty big deviation on how Ford handled the tow package from the previous gen. It seemed like almost every trim level had the tow package included.
Yes, the tow pack comes with an upgraded radiator, although I'm not sure what the upgrades are.

The oil and trans coolers are the same regardless of whether you get the tow pack.

OP
OP
M

Michael A

Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt responses. After reading them, I turn my thoughts to the MPG reduction. I'm guessing I may experience a 2 mpg drop with the 3.73.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt responses. After reading them, I turn my thoughts to the MPG reduction. I'm guessing I may experience a 2 mpg drop with the 3.73.
I've heard you can expect a 5-10% reduction depending on the spread. My guess would be it's going to be less than 2...maybe more like 1-1.5. In other words: not really enough to matter.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I was planning on driving this in town like the original poster said he was, I would absolutely NOT want 3.31 gears. The 3.73's will strain everything less and often be more efficient in town as you accelerate numerous times.