3.5L with coolant disappearing from overflow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh Saylor

Reaction score
I have a 17' ford expedition with the 3.5L ecoboost. I think I have the dreaded turbo line coolant leak. It has 55k on it and I was detailing under the hood and notice the overflow tank was low so I added some to bring it to the correct level. I don't drive it around town much as it is used for road trips at the moment. The temp needle has never gone above half way and the heat works extremely well. I can get some pictures and post them if needed. I am very mechanically inclined and I have looked all around the overflow tank and saw no obvious signs of leaking. I did look at the coolant lines through the wheel well and saw some staining around the fitting. When I recently did a oil change I noticed staining on the oil lines to turbo so I am pretty confident the fittings are leaking. I have thought about doing some steel braided lines and AN fittings but not sure if there is enough room for the line going into the backside of the turbo or if the same fittings were used at the opposite of the line. I want to keep my expedition for a long time and I take very good care of it. I also plan to do the catch can setup when I have the extra money. Any help and or advice would be gratefully appreciated thanks

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it was just the reservoir and you were up north, I would say the coolant is probably just contracting. Motorcraft Orange contracts considerably more than any coolant I had in previous vehicles - enough that the level will dip a full cup below the cold mark the first day it drops into the 40s. Based on your southern location and finding of staining around the fittings, it sounds like you have other things going on. Still, I thought I would mention it.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Staining near the turbo coolant lines?

5 year / 60,000 miles (no deductible) power train warranty.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it was just the reservoir and you were up north, I would say the coolant is probably just contracting. Motorcraft Orange contracts considerably more than any coolant I had in previous vehicles - enough that the level will dip a full cup below the cold mark the first day it drops into the 40s. Based on your southern location and finding of staining around the fittings, it sounds like you have other things going on. Still, I thought I would mention it.

My SLK will issue a low-coolant warning if it drops a cup...no kidding!

jeff

OP
OP
Josh Saylor

Josh Saylor

Reaction score
Manuporshutup - currently we are living in VA which has had colder weather then in NC. I had noticed a bubbling sound coming from the heater core but never really paid much attention as with recently moving and having a 7 month old things are often busy lol. But I appreciate the info. I do have staining on the lines at first thought maybe it was rust.

99whitec5coupe - I didn't think the turbo coolant line leak was covered under the power train warranty not from what I have read. Is it covered ? We can't afford dealership repairs so I would buy the parts and repair

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Manuporshutup - currently we are living in VA which has had colder weather then in NC. I had noticed a bubbling sound coming from the heater core but never really paid much attention as with recently moving and having a 7 month old things are often busy lol. But I appreciate the info. I do have staining on the lines at first thought maybe it was rust.

99whitec5coupe - I didn't think the turbo coolant line leak was covered under the power train warranty not from what I have read. Is it covered ? We can't afford dealership repairs so I would buy the parts and repair

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - but no leaks. I’m not positive the turbo cooling lines would be covered, but you could call your local dealership and determine if they are. Perhaps read the power train warranty first?

OP
OP
Josh Saylor

Josh Saylor

Reaction score
99whitec5coupe - I have searched the internet about coolant leaks and a lot of ppl on the f150 forums as well as on this forum have experienced the same issue. The fittings used on the turbo coolant lines have o rings that I believe overtime the heat causes damage and then leaking and most have experienced this around the 50k - 60k mile mark. I have read that the warranty doesn't cover this repair due to the fittings being considered a maintenance item though I'm not 100% on that and will talk with a dealership to confirm that. The fittings using o rings is why I want to try an use -6AN fittings and steel braided lines so I don't have to worry about doing the repairs again or a premature failure issue. I am hoping someone who has experienced this problem will chime in.