3.73 Rear Axle Delays/Limited Availability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So two weeks after putting down a deposit, my dealer called yesterday to inform me that Ford has (temporarily) stopped taking new orders on vehicles with the 3.73 rear axle (heavy duty trailer towing package or FX4 package). Has anyone else hear this or is he just telling me a good story?

OP
OP
shane_th_ee

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dealer seems to be telling me the truth. If you go to cotus.ford.com and enter vin 1FMJU1JT7JEA29017, you'll find a non-3.73 rear axle expedition that was ordered on 1/23/2018 and is due for delivery on 3/11/18. Whereas, vin 1FMJK2AT6JEA18392 was ordered 12/12/2017 with the 3.73 rear axle and hasn't even been shipped yet. And I've yet to find any 3.73 rear axle equipped vehicles ordered after 12/31/17...

Last edited:

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is bad news for me - ordered on Feb 2nd (from the dealer - not sure when/if they got the order into Ford, but I don't have a VIN yet so probably not) and I'm trying to go on vacation in mid-April. If this delays for 4 weeks I'm done for...

BTW cotus.ford.com doesn't work for me - is there a typo? Oh wait - figured it out...

Last edited:

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wouldn't worry, it will catch up soon.
15s had a similar issue when the 3.73 ls became more popular.
first release production issues thats all

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wouldn't worry, it will catch up soon.
15s had a similar issue when the 3.73 ls became more popular.
first release production issues thats all

I ordered a 2015 Expedtion Limited 4x4 and there were rear axle limitation issues with the ordering process.

It just means Ford was not prepared for the new vehicle launch. Very common with vehicle manufacturers - they advertise, and produce brochures and on-line product information. They often cannot sell what they advertise.

I ordered my 1999 Corvette coupe. The power tilt and telescoping steering wheel was “on constraint” and not available. The memory package was also not available.

OP
OP
shane_th_ee

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...I'm trying to go on vacation in mid-April...
We were hoping to get ours in time to tow our travel trailer someplace sunny for spring break in mid-March. We're currently praying for a miracle while we figure out a plan B.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much of a difference in acceleration and also feel this axle makes vs the standard one?

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not sure about feeling of acceleration on 18's but when we bought our 16 we drove a shorty and an EL one had the standard ratio, 3:31 iirc
the one we bought has the 3:73
personally it was like night and day. the 3 73 version ***** and gets pretty darn fast to highway speeds.

and now i still enjoy the zip it has from a lower gear

i think the manufactures just dont get the target audience...we want towing and room for 7 and COMFort with pep..
who wants a little 3:31 axle when towing 9000lbs?