35s on a stock 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I work for a Valet company here in Tampa, and yesterday I drove this guy's expy who was running 35s... which is what I want to do too That wasn't amazing to me or anything but what was amazing was that it was a 2003+ gen 2wd with NO LIFT!!! and it didn't rub all that bad... is it just me or is that crazy!

DR3W

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow! Did he dpo any major trimming?

But werer they skinny, ,cuz thats where the rubbing happens is on wide tires. Lol
:pepper::pepper::pepper:

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Expeditionary, it may work fine as long as you remain on level ground, but twist up the truck a little bit and see if you want those tires still. I ran 35's on my 97 (granted, it is a 4x4) with the stock suspension for a month. It worked fine as long as I was on the highway or side streets. But, if I went to turn off of one road on to another and the new road was on a hill at the corner, I could hear every nub of the tires raking across the corner of the bumper. I'm sure the 03+ trucks are very similar.

OP
OP
Expeditionary

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow! Did he dpo any major trimming?

But werer they skinny, ,cuz thats where the rubbing happens is on wide tires. Lol
:pepper::pepper::pepper:

35x12.5xr17
the exact size that im getting on my truck

looked like no trimming, though he didnt have running boards

OP
OP
Expeditionary

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expeditionary, it may work fine as long as you remain on level ground, but twist up the truck a little bit and see if you want those tires still. I ran 35's on my 97 (granted, it is a 4x4) with the stock suspension for a month. It worked fine as long as I was on the highway or side streets. But, if I went to turn off of one road on to another and the new road was on a hill at the corner, I could hear every nub of the tires raking across the corner of the bumper. I'm sure the 03+ trucks are very similar.

i have a 97 but as you can see in my sig i have 3" of lift, but i still wont run 35s without a body lift first

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it can be done.... if Thermo runs 37s on 4" of lift compared to my 37s on 11"... with the right tire/rim combo it can be done.... plus depending on the tire certain tires are actually smaller than what they say they are...

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a second generation there is no way to run 35s with no lift. Its impossible unless he takes his fenders off.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
This is what a 37" tire with 4" of lift looks like when under full travel of the suspension. Sure, take off an inch for the tire height, but then you also need to factor in the 4" suspension. Don't forget to factor in the additional 2-3" of height for a 4x4 truck compared to a 2wd truck. So, you would have to imagine what this would look like with the body of the truck sitting 5-6" lower than this. Please tell me you can see how the tire would not rub.

1079714.jpg

Granted, here is my truck on level ground. Again, factor in the heights and tell me that it wouldn't look like a stuffed sausage with those big of tires and no lift.
1079724.jpg

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thermo, just come out here to cali and help me work my inner fenders and whatnot so i can stuff some 37's under there without getting the body lift! better yet, i get out at the end of the year, you can meet me in iowa!