3rd gen chain timing set replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been doing a lot of research for a replacement timing set for my 08. I have come across some great replacement parts. I just wanted to share them with you guys and hear back on your opinions.

I am going to get cam phasers by Precision auto CNC PN:
3R2Z-6A257-DA 5.4L 4.6L 3V Camshaft Phaser Alternative

Timing chain kit PN:
5.4L 3V 2004-2010 Complete Timing Chain Replacement Kit

Link...http://www.freedomracing.com/5-4l-3v-2004-2010-timing-chain-replacement-kit.html

sorry not up to speed on making it a clickable link...:0)

This kit has Cloys metal ratcheting tensioners. along with OEM chain guides.

The CNC phasers I personaly have used them and there still working on my father-in-laws 07 F150. Near 80K on this set. Total of 230K miles on truck. He has been running the Banks Tune on it since he replaced the timing set.

I will be getting the M360 oil pump which has the cast iron backing plate. The stock oem plate leaks oil at about 2500 rpm. It leaks oil out the top of the oil pump and does not get it up to the starving cams and phasers. Youtube it to see the video. >>>
M340 stock volume, stock pressure 60 psi Cast iron backing
M360 stock volume, 80 psi Cast ion backing
M340hv 20% more volume, 60 psi Cast Iron backing
M360hv 20% more volume, 80 psi Cast iron backing

Also unless someone can let me borrow a cam locking tool I will be buying one, unless I can rent one from a parts store.

Thats all for now I need sleep.

CJ

OP
OP
08T1

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m posting after my prior post. I bought the kits I suggested above. I have already put one week or 500 miles on this set.

I want to keep a accurate record of my research or purchases for other future people who want to buy young kits.

When I changed my timing kit I saw only my timing chain tensioners blew their gaskets. Everything was very nice. The phasers fell off the cams when I unbolted them.

The new phasers were tighter when placed on by hand.

I honestly think only the chain tensioners blew their gaskets. 127K miles.

I replaced with the metal ratcheting chain tensioners. Also used CNC phasers. Cloyes guides.

The ratcheting tensioners were used to help supliment slack in the chain and oil till oil was up to full PSI. Helping prolong Phaser life

I also used the M340hv instead of the M360hv I said earlier. After lots of debate and seeking outside help I chose M340hv.

The higher volume to fill the failing oil pump gap. And fill the wear and tear of the motor. I will be running 5w - 30 M1 extended performance.

My truck has changed into an animal. The low end has come alive. I now hear the intake. The cam phasers are clearly working. The power is exciting. The top end is still limited to my stock parts.

Ask if you have questions.

My point in this post is to learn. Even at my own expense.

CJ

Preston

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of research as I too have a 08 Expy. My timing chain has no issues as of yet, however I'm under the impression that Ford suggests changing them every 100,000 miles. So as a preventative measure I'm looking to replace it but I'm not exactly sure what all needs to be replaced? So you would recommend using the above parts? or would you do OEM parts? Thanks for your post.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Thankfully, your impression is wrong. This is no cheap import with a rubber timing belt.

Ford does not suggest changing the timing chains every 100,000 miles. There's probably a half million 5.4 engine out there with 250,000 miles on their timing chains.

OP
OP
08T1

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m trying the cam phasers cause I have used them on two other trucks.
I tried doing the research for my personal vehicle and posted them here so others could see how it works...or not.
I replaced the parts about a month ago and almost 2K miles on them. They are very quiet and working as they should.

In short with my little miles I have on them I recommend them.

I chose the ratcheting tensioner to help maintain there position. They won’t give or move much with fluctuations in oil pressure or phaser or cold start etc. my idea is it will ease some of the shock/ load on the timing set.

Honestly if anyone is worried then just save up ford Ford parts.

JMHO
CJ