3rd Gen Expedition meets Godzilla

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Datchu09

Reaction score
Been thinking about swapping my old Triton 5.4L engine with the new 7.3L Godzilla engine.
what do you all think about it? do you think the factory transmission and transfer case could handle about 150 more horses? or the Diff's?

20200725_215853.jpg

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the trans and differentials would be fine with the extra power. I’d be more worried about all the electrical work/changes that you’ll have to figure out. It’s not like the old days anymore with just fabricated mounts and a trans adapter plate with some headers and homemade exhaust.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wont happen

The ones who say "it can't.....", or "it won't.......", need to sit back, zip lips, and let those who can and will, do it.

It will fit, bolt up to the existing trans. Will need mounts, possibly. Probably going to need a standalone and trans controller. How that will integrate to the body harness I don't know, but I'm sure it's not insurmountable, just $. I too am interested in this. I'm actually pretty intrigued and if I had the funds for the crate motor, it'd be happening. There's also a feller here wanting to put a 6.2 in his Expy. The electronics again are going to be the big obstacle to get past.

The mechanical stuff is out there. 6.2 were in 1/2T trucks, so there's mounts and the like available. The 7.3 might be different, then again, the mount bosses on the block might be the same as the 5.4, I'm not sure. I haven't found any info that confirms/disproves this. Of course mounts aren't nearly a thing if you know of a fab shop or race car builder. They could likely whip some up in short order assuming they add access to measurements and whatnot..

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just about anything is possible so long as you're willing to put out the $ to make it happen.

I've known others with supercharged 5.4 setups with little to nothing done to transmission and they handled it fine. Now I'd you're talking about driving it like a raceway and that's another story. Towing or hauling around 8 people, go for it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The same drivetrain was used behind the 6.2L V8 @411 horsepower/434 lb ft so it should handle it. Question is with that many miles will the trans handle it for long....