3rd gen sync 3 issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brob98

Reaction score
2016 Ford Expedition limited that I bought last week. It has sync 3 version 1.0

Did the whole zip file download from ford with the usb, after failed attempts with trying to update it with WiFi.

I’ve had the usb in the car for 2 hours and it says updating system software.

After 2 hours, I took the usb out, turned the car off and it still says updating system software and it’s still on version 1.0.

I’m at a loss here. I’m not sure if I need to do a master reset and try a 32gb thumb drive instead of the 16gb?

What should I do to get it to stop saying updating system software and what should I do for the next attempt for the update?

The whole reason I’m doing the update is because I ordered the new apple car play usb hub. I’m under the impression that I need to do the update for that to work. Correct?

Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

07mustangman

Reaction score
I updated my 2017 Expedition Limited to the newest 3.4 update not to long ago. You probably will need a 32gb stick if you have navigation. Go to Cyanlabs website and fill in the information it asks for about your current version. It is very user friendly and there are alot of YouTube videos that show you how to do it.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did my 2017 with NAV yesterday. Last time I upgraded the firmware was about 18 months ago. Downloaded the Zip file from the Ford website. The Zip file name was JR3T-14G381-AX.zip. Interesting that is was only 1.5GB. I did not attempt the wireless upgrade. Did the USB key and it took about 15 minutes from start to finish.