3rd row seat removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
Have to unplug a harness also. I can't remember I think I had to pop some plastic covers off to get to the bolts. They were Torx. I may have taken out the plastic tray back there also before I could reach bolts.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Be careful removing the 3rd row as they may provide structural rigidity in event of a crash (and even everyday driving).

To be sure, check the trunk of an Expedition SSV and copy what's there.

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm assuming they didn't change much from the last gen to this one, it's super simple. you have to take out the rear cargo tray to get to all the bolts, but each side is only held in with four bolts plus the torx bolts for the seatbelts. Take out the rear tray, fold the seats forward and crack those bolts loose, but don't take them out. Fold the seats back up, remove the electrical connectors, take out the front bolts on the legs from the front of the vehicle, hop around and finish removing the rear bolts, and they'll pull out right towards the rear. Only took me about half an hour, and that's not really knowing what I was doing. It goes a LOT easier with a quality impact and some extensions, there isn't a whole lot of room to swing a ratchet in there.

jburns

Reaction score
I'm assuming they didn't change much from the last gen to this one, it's super simple. you have to take out the rear cargo tray to get to all the bolts, but each side is only held in with four bolts plus the torx bolts for the seatbelts. Take out the rear tray, fold the seats forward and crack those bolts loose, but don't take them out. Fold the seats back up, remove the electrical connectors, take out the front bolts on the legs from the front of the vehicle, hop around and finish removing the rear bolts, and they'll pull out right towards the rear. Only took me about half an hour, and that's not really knowing what I was doing. It goes a LOT easier with a quality impact and some extensions, there isn't a whole lot of room to swing a ratchet in there.

did you have electric 3rd row seats? I am trying to figure out how to remove those cords. I removed them from the motor connection but now I just have the 3 wires in that tube laying there. Looking for advice....

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know why it took me so long to see this... I just tucked them up under the trim on the passenger's side with the rear HVAC stuff. Out of sight, I don't mind!

did you have electric 3rd row seats? I am trying to figure out how to remove those cords. I removed them from the motor connection but now I just have the 3 wires in that tube laying there. Looking for advice....

Plati

Reaction score
I don't know why it took me so long to see this... I just tucked them up under the trim on the passenger's side with the rear HVAC stuff. Out of sight, I don't mind!
I did the same, no issue. In fact you or the next owner may want them later.