3rd shock blown out on 2018 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
@duneslider I have read yall are needing a little more snow but I might be the only one wishing no big snow dumps betweem Feb 4th through feb 11th becuase i know if it does everyone will come out of the woodwork and hit the slopes! I rather not have huge lift lines in at Alta and Solitude but it is what it is atleast it would be good snow if it happens (but being from texas we dont know the difference in good snow and bad snow!)

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya the price was so high I am almost wondering if i heard him wrong over the phone but I swear i repeated the price and he said yes but ill confirm when I go pick it up. Bilstiens seem like the go to shock. Ill try to google the diffreences in the 4600 and 5100 and other options.

ya I'm trying to find 4600's but it Im not finding them the fit 2019's. MAybe the only option is the 5100's for the 2019's. I think i will at least take it to another shop to confirm if they believe the shocks are bad. Of course this all happens a week and a half before we are supposed to drive from Houston to Utah on a ski trip.

It looks like that may be the case.

m3bs

Reaction score
Does anyone who has made the switch to Bilsteins have their stock shocks laying around? I'm working with a company to produce an alternative replacement shock setup for our Expeditions.

beefsolar

Reaction score
Second time around for me with bad struts. First time had a leak in the front along with a bad axel bearing and boot whipping grease out. This was at about 12k. Now I have all 4 struts leaking at 44k. Left rear dumped out on my new driveway. Good thing is they’re all covered under extended warranty, which sounds lucky based on previous posts. Maybe I should order some of the Bilsteins in preparation for the next time they fail and I’m out of warranty!

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's absolutely insane, all four leaking at 44k? what a joke, this sounds like a consumer class action type thing if it's this widespread.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

MikeTheApeman

Reaction score
That's absolutely insane, all four leaking at 44k? what a joke, this sounds like a consumer class action type thing if it's this widespread.
43,930 on my 2018 XLT. All four leaking. I'm slightly pissed because I bought it CPO 18 months ago with 34,205 on the odometer. Only 9,725 miles, never towed, never off-road, 50/50 city and highway...and dealer is telling me not covered under ESP. I find it hard to believe that there was no sign that these were worn, but they also sold it to me with bad phasers that (luckily) I got replaced under warranty at zero cost to me.
Quote for all 4 shocks (including an alignment @ $125) was $2,054.

KenK

Reaction score
Like many others here, I went with the Bilstein 5100s rather than fool around with getting the originals replaced under warranty.
The dealer said I had to leave the truck for a week just for them to look at it, and then they would order parts.
Because they are struts at all four corners, it is a big job to DIY.
I also got the alignment tweaked after changing the shocks. It was not far off, but just enough.
So far, I'm happy with the Bilsteins. They do seem a little firmer and more controlled than stock.
I cannot say the ride is greatly improved but I think that is related more to the Michelin Primacy tires which are next to go.
Several friends have the BFG K02s and recommend them highly.
Since changing the shocks, I did some light towing under 2,000 lbs and some moderate hauling of 1,000 lbs +, and there is a noticeable and pleasant difference.

2018 Max 4x4 + towing package
~ 33K miles changed to Bilstein 5100s
~ 37K miles now