3rd shock blown out on 2018 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3bs

Reaction score
My LF started leaking recently. From everything I’ve read here, it sounds like getting new shocks under warranty is only a temporary fix. Anybody installed Bilsteins DIY? I did my old Armada, but I’d like to find a better spring compressor setup than I used on it. Suggestions?

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My LF started leaking recently. From everything I’ve read here, it sounds like getting new shocks under warranty is only a temporary fix. Anybody installed Bilsteins DIY? I did my old Armada, but I’d like to find a better spring compressor setup than I used on it. Suggestions?

I used this one from Autozone.
https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-too...r/powerbuilt-strut-coil-compressor/537058_0_0

To tell the truth, I thought the end plates bent more than what I was comfortable with. Next time I will probably try the threaded rods.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Figured I would add to the misery in the thread. Both my rear shocks are leaking and require replacement. No warranty left so 2k to do the job. Also got the wire pop off from the rear defrost on the passenger side. Cannot repair, requires new glass. BAM $1000.

GO AHEAD, MAKE MY DAY.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2K for shocks???

Holy hell. Can you do it yourself?

I just did mine (all 4, actually), and put Bilsteins under it, along with lift spacers. Mine's an '11 though, but pretty much same underneath.

Yeah, that 2K has me in sticker shock. LOL

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2K for shocks???

Holy hell. Can you do it yourself?

I just did mine (all 4, actually), and put Bilsteins under it, along with lift spacers. Mine's an '11 though, but pretty much same underneath.

Yeah, that 2K has me in sticker shock. LOL

Its 2k Canadian dollars, but still damn! He must have CCD.

B99AAF27-30BA-403E-882B-D3249EA1FF3D.png

Jon Jenkins

Reaction score
Not seeing any fluid leak but since we got our 2018 rig the back end would kick out when hitting potholes and the like. It has continued to get worse. So bad that when traveling through Texas on the highway would hit rough spot and rear end would kick out so bad it was scary.
I am assuming it is the shock and considering bilstien install.
Would you all assume the same? 50k miles on it now. It’s getting really bad. Extended warranty has shocks/struts as an exclusion.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not seeing any fluid leak but since we got our 2018 rig the back end would kick out when hitting potholes and the like. It has continued to get worse. So bad that when traveling through Texas on the highway would hit rough spot and rear end would kick out so bad it was scary.
Would you all assume the same? 50k miles on it now. It’s getting really bad. Extended warranty has shocks/struts as an exclusion.
I would do the bilstiens, when you can get them that is. Still waiting on my order that was placed in Dec 2020. I'd also check your tires, rear sway bar, rear springs & torsion links for issues.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No idea if the issue is your shocks but I will say I like the ride much better after going to the bilsteins on mine. You don't have your air pressure in the tires too high do you?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Thats exactly what blown shocks do, they let the tires lose contact with the road surface on bumps. Replace them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360