3rd shock blown out on 2018 XLT

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ah, that would do it. The way I read it quick struts didn’t have a cartridge insert so thought it would be covered. But I only know slightly more than I did yesterday about suspensions, which was nothing.

The entire strut is covered if it's a Ford extended warranty. If it's a third party warranty, wtf knows.

My 2019 has 20,000 miles on it. Dealer checked and 3 shocks are leaking. They are replacing 3 under warranty and I asked just assuming they would do all 4. Dealer said we can only replace the impacted ones under warranty. Do you think there will be issues with this going forward? Seems like a shock with 20,000 miles on it and 3 brand new ones isn't the best setup.

Ideally, they should be replaced in pairs. However, if you have the dealer do that other one you will pay out the nose vs having it done at an independent shop. I would just leave it alone if it were me. Chances are it's going to fail along with one or more of the new ones. I had one rear blow out at 80k and then another at 90k. By 110k, the first replacement was leaking like a sieve and the second replacement had a minor leak. At that point, the extended warranty was up and I opted to replace both with Bilstein 4600 series. No issues since.

daytonajrw

Reaction score
The entire strut is covered if it's a Ford extended warranty. If it's a third party warranty, wtf knows.

Ideally, they should be replaced in pairs. However, if you have the dealer do that other one you will pay out the nose vs having it done at an independent shop. I would just leave it alone if it were me. Chances are it's going to fail along with one or more of the new ones. I had one rear blow out at 80k and then another at 90k. By 110k, the first replacement was leaking like a sieve and the second replacement had a minor leak. At that point, the extended warranty was up and I opted to replace both with Bilstein 4600 series. No issues since.
how are you getting it covered? I have the Ford Used PremiumCare and they are claiming it's a shock and not covered. it would only be covered under the premium maintenance plan.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PremiumCare covers struts but not shocks. According to the Ford parts site, our fronts are struts and rears are shocks (even though the rears are coil-overs and look very similar to the fronts). After having 6 leaking factory shocks by 40k miles, I decided to switch to Bilsteins.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how are you getting it covered? I have the Ford Used PremiumCare and they are claiming it's a shock and not covered. it would only be covered under the premium maintenance plan.

I had my truck in to my local trans shop for routine maintenance and he noticed a leak in the rear. I took it to the dealer and he told me it wasn't covered as their system said there were shocks in the rear. I got the trans shop on the phone and he said: "It's a strut. Put the Ford tech on the phone and I will explain to him why it's a strut." I relayed this message to the tech who said he would put it on the lift and get back to me. He called me an hour later and said: "It's a strut. It's covered under warranty."