3V 5.4 performance build - What's a good shop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Shank

Reaction score
My wife and have been talking about ordering a new Expedition Max. We have been for the last ~3 weeks.

Yesterday she changed her mind, and would rather keep her 3rd gen. She also wants to be able to keep up with my modified MKS.

Being semi-new to the Ford world (coming from BMW) I'm not sure who to turn to for the engine build. The target is about 600HP at the crank, with stock drivability. Spending money on the build isn't an issue, because I'm not spending $90K for a new Expedition Max in limited trim. The other catch is that I need to retain the stock tow rating of ~9000#. Some short loads will be heavier than that, but we have a dolly that we use, so tongue weight is minimal.

I'm used to hearing "Anything is possible if you have the money" so lets see where this gets me...

I'm hoping not divorced. :Good or Bad:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You probably don't want to hear this...but much cheaper to just purchase a 15 - 17 w/ the Ecoboost, and get a performance tune.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure on a shop, but if you do this update! A supercharged 5.4 is an animal.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's your BUDGET???

Nothing else matters till we know where you are $$wise before talking more......

I know that sounds harsh but as someone who builds high performance two stroke engines, I cannot tell you how many times people Want, but unfortunately, they do not Have ($$). It's unfair in my own mind to waste a builders time by pretending to be $$ ready to build when most times, folks aren't. It's much better to ask for help in determining the best upgrades for a later build. They will see that as a sign of respect....just a fyi for you.....

In my own opinion, JE is mostly right....if you are going to do anything to that engine, make it "removable money" because I don't think it's a solid base for a High Perf, 600hp engine. I admit to not being a "car guy" but I think it would take new crank bearings-up to make it strong enough. Remember those crank bearings are only inserts and stock, can't handle the pressures you want to generate. Mains too....

All that aside, your sweethearts truck is near the end of its useful life.....even if she doesn't want to part with it, you will have to and soon too.....keep some resources available for that day, right?

When you're ready, call Livernois, they will help you out.

Good luck!

jeff

OP
OP
M

Mr Shank

Reaction score
You probably don't want to hear this...but much cheaper to just purchase a 15 - 17 w/ the Ecoboost, and get a performance tune.
Price isn't really the concern. She wants to keep her rig.

What's your BUDGET???

Nothing else matters till we know where you are $$wise before talking more......

jeff

About $3.50...

Joking aside, it looks like the basic kits start at about $6K, and I was figuring another $3 - $6K on build and tune, and maybe $4K on trans rebuild, so maybe $15K give or take? If I have to go over $30K, then it might be time to look harder at the 4th gen again...

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Price isn't really the concern. She wants to keep her rig.

a '15-'17 with the Ecoboost is going to look and feel pretty close to what she has..

Joking aside, it looks like the basic kits start at about $6K, and I was figuring another $3 - $6K on build and tune, and maybe $4K on trans rebuild, so maybe $15K give or take? If I have to go over $30K, then it might be time to look harder at the 4th gen again...

I Googled 600 HP Triton 5.4, looks like a lot of work, and quite pricey just to get the engine where you want, then the Transmission, and the inevitable stumbling blocks..

Then you have to figure what else is going to go or need to be beefed up? Transfer case? Differentials? Axles/CV's? Particularly when you figure the mileage/wear already on these components at 262,*** miles..

At 262,*** miles it does seem foolish to invest that kind of money... But to each there own.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about you just tune the current truck instead of investing all that dough? The 5.4 Triton responds very well to tuning and will pick up around 20 horsepower, the drive by wire will also see a major improvement.

Then, if she loves her truck keep that money aside for rebuild time on the engine. Although these 5.4s are known for going 300,000 miles easy. They are very strong engines.....forged crack powdered rods, cast iron deep skirt block, cross bolted mains. They can take some serious juice with the stock setup.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You certainly are aware of the "required pain" and have the juice to do it. After wearing all this grey hair for so many years, I'm not a big believer in reinventing the wheel so I'd chat up one of the major shops. They know what works and now you are trying to assemble a Build-plan at this point now anyway.

Those few telephone calls will help you refine your Build plan. Then once you have the basic plan(internal strengthening, mounts,etc), you can develop say a "N/A plan" and a "Boosted plan" and weigh the pros/cons/cost of each of those paths. Just stay away from NOS....it's low cost power is temptingly seductive but like cocaine, it will cost you dearly if you get under it's spell.

Good luck......

jeff

My place isn't to question why(we're all grown & make our own decisions)...it's only to answer the question- How

OP
OP
M

Mr Shank

Reaction score
Those few telephone calls will help you refine your Build plan.

Yeah, and that was the point of this thread, to see who I should look at and who I should stay away from.

Though it may stay stock as she's looking at getting an F450 to tow the horse trailer.

Whatever, it's "her" money.