4.6 l timing chain replacement Engine backfiring missing bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedNeck96

Reaction score
OK just please (replaced? ) timing chain & guides tensioner. I did everything according to Ford service manual. Go to start the engine get misfires, popping back firing. I've installed new plugs new wires, new coil packs check for vacuum leaks not pulling any trouble codes etc intake air temp to high fix that cleared codes samething...please help only family car and i am at my wits end

Last edited by a moderator:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it wasn't backfiring before the timing chain replacement then the problem is related to the recent work you performed. Check the timing again.
When I did mine I used two cam holders instead of the normal single holder. That way it is a little easier to check before putting the cover back on.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm with Stamp, if it ran ok before, you might have set #1 starting point on intake, not exaust stroke, and all is 180 degrees off. Disconnect the Crank position sensor so it won't fire, pull #1 plug, screw in a spark plug compression hose, crank motor from front pulley. Put a finger over hose end, when you feel a wooshing on your thumb/finger, check For Tdc mark on pulley. Then recheck both your cams, that's the way I've always done V8 engines. The bright links on the chain should correspond to spot on each cam. I'm hoping you didn't bend any valves if you were off, possibility, but hopefully not.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Stamp and moose probably nailed it. Chances are the timing is off and hopefully no damage was done.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
try watching this video. The dot on crank pointing at 6:00 position is critical. Double check your work. This video will walk you through.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
try watching this video. The dot on crank pointing at 6:00 position is critical. Double check your work. This video will walk you through.

you linked a 3v, and not a 2v engine, is the timing similar?

OP
OP
RedNeck96

RedNeck96

Reaction score
Ok but i be getting some type of codes??? The only codes that are coming up is now #5&#1 miss fire. Nothing else. Backfire on happens when driving and im letting off the gas to stop and then its only two or three pops.... MAINLY JUST SPUTS AND NO POWER

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You didn't say that! You made it sound like it was popping and spitting like an old man with chewing tobacco, and horrible gas! Try the usual with swapping out the coil from #5 to another cylinder, or if you have a spare coil, do that along with spark plug for #5. Might also try a new injector for #5. If it runs ok besides that little problem, your timings right.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Almost forgot, popping on deceleration may also be due to an exaust leak, if your leaking especially near or on #5, fix that for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze