4.6 timing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a 5 gallon bucket or metal if possible or a metal paint can. If plastic ,glue or screw a metal bowl or cup to bottom so it won't burn through.
Rig you up a hose in and hose out on the lid or side. You can drill hole and seal with rtv.
Light up a fat, cheap cigar and stick it in the metal pan and put the lid on. Can also use a paper towel with some oil on it etc. Give it a minute or two and blow some air into one tube. Need a lower volume pump or use compressor with adjustable output regulator. You don't want over 1-2 psi if that..You want more volume but not a shop vac outlet large amount.

Take the big hose off the brake booster and hook your other hose to that.
Take snorkel off throttle body and tape it off .

Then watch for smoke coming out.

There are some Youtube vids of homemade ones.

OP
OP
C

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would a bad or stuck/broken IMRC valve cause lean codes only with no other codes and cause the rough running drivability issues?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 4.6 doesn't use an irmc valve. The 4.2 engine from F150 does. I'm not sure on yours, but you may have the IAC valve on side of throttle body. If clogged, the engine will stall a lot, and cause driveability issues. It is a cleanable/ reusable part. Later models don't have this, not sure on yours, maybe one of the others can say if it does. Rock Auto lists one, is why I'm not sure.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It may not. I know my 98 f150 with aluminum upper intake and plastic lower portion does have one. But on a brighter note I decided to do the carb cleaner trick one more time and did find a leak on the gasket between the upper and lower portion of the intake! I guess maybe with the clogged cats it wasn't pulling a lot and now that it can breath out the backside it decided to show up that way!

OP
OP
C

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To clarify my 98 f150 with the 4.6 does have the imrc valve. Or at least something stuck of the front of the lower portion of the intake lol.