4 wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
I have a 4 wheel drive 98 expedition EB and I went last evening to help my son get a deer and when I need the darn 4 wheel drive I can't get it to work. It does nothing. Anyone have any ideas. I have changed out the GEM unit 4 times to get a good one so I am thinking it something other than the GEM unit. Any ideas welcome.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is fuse 104 in the underhood fuse box there and good? All the other fuses related to the 4wd system good?

Front driveshaft installed?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the fuse and power to it are good, manually see if 4 wheel is engaging. Time to be sure your in 4 wheel is before you need it. You can rock the transfer case to engage if need be. Let us know what you find.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
1955Moose, going too try to figure out something tomorrow. I still have too figure out how too get that darn under hood fuse case open.

ogre20012001

Reaction score
Check vacuum going to your front axle shift fork.

Also it might be the pads on the shift fork are worn. Not allowing front axle to engage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
fuses first for sure; experienced same issue many times. then linkage, vacuum lines etc.
my rule of thumb-after filling up a new tank of gas, turn the rotator and go through the ranges in some dirt/sand.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
Ok my first try was too rock it back and forth, that did work it kick in and I tried too see if it will work by turn off and on and I did that about 3 or 4 times. I think that was a mistake because I turned off and walked away went back to it 10 minutes later and back too nothing. Now I finally got that cover off the fuse box under the hood but I don't have anything too tell me which fuse I should be looking for, the owners manual does not say and I don't want too remove all. None of the fuses look blown. I here clicking noise in the dash so I would think that rules out a blown fuse and also when it stop working the first time when I turned it off the 4 wheel drive light on the dash stayed on and I had too turn key off for it too go off.

ogre20012001

Reaction score
You can use a test light to test the fuse.
Just touch the little metal pice on each side of the fuse.

It should light up on both sides

If only lights up on one side that’s a bad fuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
There is something intermittent going on I always here the clicking in the dash and when I first turn on the key I can get it one time too engage but then I have too turn off the key then back on. When it does engage it clanks pretty loud. The best I can tell all fuses are good or it would not operate at all. However I don't understand why it will not work more than once.