4 wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
Hey 1955moose I have fiddled with this thing now for a couple of days and just when I thought I had it too where I could use it I now have the opposite thing going on. I have it engaged and can't get out. When you say rock it what are you talking about. I understand rocking a straight stick but I don't know how to on automatic and or transfer 4 wheel drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fact that you were able to manually engage the four wheel drive leads me towards a bad shift motor, is the 4 wheel light on dash illuminated? Run a diagnostic code check, and report what pops up. Also check Iwe sensor vacuum, to be sure it's present both sides. Theirs a arm on the transfer case. Rocking it means see if it engages when you do that. Sounds like this may be out of your wheelhouse on repairing. No shame there, 4 wheel drives can be difficult to diagnose and repair.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
Boy 1955moose you are so right some of the things you are talking about I don't know what they mean. What do you mean by manually engage,all I have done was to use the switch on the dash,but I hear it clank when it work. The light on the dash is on and will not go out even though the switch is in the off position. The Iwe sensor vacuum I do not know about.

Last edited:

ogre20012001

Reaction score
98 has central axle disconnect
Not iwe.
The iwe started in 2003.

Not trying to be rude to anyone just trying to provide correct information for op and anyone else who finds this searching for similar issues.

I agree sounds like a possible bad shift motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My appolagies, I could have swore I remember Iwe on later 98 models. I think I mixed that up with Awd setup, which I believe only lasted through 2002? Anyway I feel our friend Ted may have to have a shop diagnose and repair his problem.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
Thanks Moose, right now I need too get it out of 4 wheel drive so I can go too church on sunday

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
1955moose would you please read thread 13 and 17 and answer some of what I don't understand if you can because it is engaged I can't get it out. I read a thread on another site that said jack up one wheel and that would let me release it but not happen.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try putting it in neutral, then hit the two wheel drive position, if that's doesn't work do the same in 4 wheel high or low position. Sounds more and more you've got an issue with the transfer case motor or something up their acting up! On my 2000 the 4 wheel drive maxi fuse is #104 under hood fuse box, but can't bring up for yours, anybody help out there? What fuse/ relay for 98?

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
THANKS moose I can't find a 104 in the fuse box or the manual or a repair manual that I have I do thank you for you help