4 wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
Not yet the shop I deal with want $100 just to look at it and I am on social security so that takes a good chunk out of what I HAVE TO FIX IT.So I have to put a couple of months together.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish we had some more info Ted, I too am on social security and part time employment, so I feel your pain. Diagnosis of 4 wheel drive can be difficult, even if you've done it before. We can try with help of other members maybe we can get you closer to a fix you can do. Keep in mind were not there, I'm approx 2000 miles away in San Francisco, and unless we've got somebody that's near Kentucky, we'll do our best. Anybody with four wheel drive and diagnostic want to join the party?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
Boy 1955moose, That sounds wonderful. It 's 10 o'clock here so I won't try too tell you tonight but I will tomorrow. I will tell you that I have been on youtube and have found 3 videos that show (1) how to change a shift motor, (2) how to check the vacuum and where the vacuum lines go, (3) there was some kind of switch that looked like it was on the side of the transmission. I have not had time too absorb all the info because of all the things I have going on around the house,but the next few days I plan on watching these videos and see if I can trace down some of what is on them. Moose I really appreciate the effort you are putting forth too help me. I am trying too get this done before cold weather because my wife works part time and don't drive if it snows hence the 4 wheel drive. THANKS

ogre20012001

Reaction score
I will do my best to help also.
Alas I also live a distance from you.

YouTube can be a good resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theirs some good diagnostic videos online. First thing is be sure all fuses, and relays are sound. Also theirs vacuum activated items that need to be holding/releasing vacuum to operate the hubs, and transfer case properly. Make sure first thing is run a codes check to get a starting point.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ogre20012001

Reaction score
When looking for videos.
IIRC

97-98 central axle disconnect.
Switch positions
2wd, A4wd, 4wd, 4lo

99-02
No disconnect on axle.
Switch positions
A4wd, 4wd, 4lo
This is the years people do the brown wire mod on.

2003-current I think
Integrated wheel ends (“iwe”)
Switch position
2wd, A4wd, 4wd, 4lo

This should help you look for correct videos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk