432,000 miles and uses oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wallaman

Reaction score
Hi. First time user. I have a 2000 Eddie Bauer with a 5.4 Triton. We bought it new. For the first 16 years I used conventional 5w20 oil and changed it every 3,000 miles. Then I read an article that said the engine would perform better if it was run with full synthetic. For the past 3 years I have been using 5W20 full synthetic oil and still change it 'close' to 3,000 miles but it has started to use up to a quart of oil every 3,000 miles. Should I go back to conventional? Should I use a heavier weight oil? Should I add some additive such as Motor Honey or Lucas or Marvel Mystery Oil? The vehicle has 432,000 plus miles on it now and is a strong runner. I/we have never noticed or been told it had a noticeable showing of smoke from the exhaust. For the past few months I have noticed I have an exhaust leak noise, not real, real loud but noisy. Would that have any thing to do with oil usage? Will an exhaust leak damage an engine if not repaired. You can tell from my questions that I'm not mechanically inclined. Any response with advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. That is pretty high mileage for a gas motor so you are seeing the internal wear it has now with the oil consumption. I would keep adding oil as necessary and avoid the snake oil additives. The exhaust leak doesn't have anything to do with the oil consumption but should be fixed so you don't gas yourself with carbon monoxide.

OP
OP
W

wallaman

Reaction score
Thank you for the response stamp 11127. Should I keep using the full synthetic 5w20 or should I go back to a 5w20 conventional oil? Should I switch to a heavier weight oil? They do have 'High mileage' oil in both conventional and full synthetic. Thank you.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I would switch to “high mileage” oil and if I’m not mistaken it is thicker oil to help the oil stay below the pistons instead of on top of ‘em. It could be that the valve seals have turned hardish from heat and age and on startup you may see a puff or so of smoke. At least you know the engine is being lubricated even if you do use a little oil. Syn or dino either will work.

OP
OP
W

wallaman

Reaction score
Thank you Sgt. Darkness. Would it be acceptable to go to High Mileage 10w40 instead of 5w20? Would that not be thicker but not too thick? Is there any kind of additive made specifically for softening and rejuvenating the rubber seals? Thank you.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you use any additives in the past?

There is no such thing as rejuvenating the rubber seals. Think about it, as the engine runs the seals wear. How is an additive going to "add" material to the seal? It doesn't - it adds a chemical that will slightly swell the material and "magically" it doesn't leak anymore. When the additive doesn't swell the seal any longer, then it pours fluid.

Before I would do anything, I would go for a compression check on all cylinders. That is similar to going to the doctor for an EKG and finding out were it is in it's life. There is a point that you will get to that is better to rebuild/replace instead constant repairs.

For the oil I would keep using synthetic 10w30 or 10w40 but longer duration between changes, unless the oil gets really dirty in 3000 miles.

Last edited:

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have over 400k miles.
DO NOT CHANGE WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!! Just add oil when needed between changes.

You are only asking for leaks from gunked up seals if you do.

Older well used engines use oil not a huge deal.
A quart every 3k is nothing for an engine with that mileage.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So you think the mileage may have something to do with it?

Yea it has everything to do with it. If my engine had over 400k miles on it I would be thrilled if it only used a quart between changes. Stamp and Black are right on the money with their advice. Just do what you been doing and I would have a compression check done if you really want to find out where your oil is going. Good job on taking care of your Expy, well done!!!