4H / 4A / 2H

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dworth

Reaction score
LokiWolf has this down, so just echoing that if there is only a 4A selection, it is in 4H if one of the modes is selected, Sand, Grass Gravel Snow, or Mud/Ruts.
I bought my 2018 new in January 2019. It has the Toyo tires, which I saw nothing but complaints with them. I have found them to be very good in all conditions, including deep snow, moderate off-road in mud, and heavy rain. The only thing is that they are very noisy noisy noisy. But not enough that I can justify replacing. I was kind of hoping they would wear out quickly, but at 24,000 miles all four are evenly worn and measure 8/32, even though the wear rating is “300“. Looks like I will have them a while. Lol
It was my understanding that if 4A was the only option, only mud and ruts made it 4WD.

gural

Reaction score
I have a question
Can something happen if someone will during the ride switch from 2H to 4A??

KenK

Reaction score
Do any of the drive modes kick in the ELSD automatically?

Also, the manual says something about the ELSD may also kick in during some conditions while towing? This is curious to me, the only conditions I imagine ELSD might kick in during towing could be if while pulling trailer the tires slip or perhaps if the computer detected severe trailer sway and it is trying to prevent a jackknife.

While I have only done light towing, around 2,000 lbs plus the vehicle loaded with gear, the Expedition is dream while towing. Smooth, quiet, and relaxing, no drama at all. The thing is so comfortable that during trips my passengers often sleep. The Expy is not as rough and ready as my old Z71 Suburban but it sure is a lot more refined.

Silver 2018 Max 4x4 with HD Towing.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do any of the drive modes kick in the ELSD automatically?

Also, the manual says something about the ELSD may also kick in during some conditions while towing? This is curious to me, the only conditions I imagine ELSD might kick in during towing could be if while pulling trailer the tires slip or perhaps if the computer detected severe trailer sway and it is trying to prevent a jackknife.

While I have only done light towing, around 2,000 lbs plus the vehicle loaded with gear, the Expedition is dream while towing. Smooth, quiet, and relaxing, no drama at all. The thing is so comfortable that during trips my passengers often sleep. The Expy is not as rough and ready as my old Z71 Suburban but it sure is a lot more refined.

Silver 2018 Max 4x4 with HD Towing.
ELSD(Electronic Limited Slip Differential) is ALWAYS active. Except if in an error state. There is another thread recently discussing the errors. ELSD is just like a mechanical LSD, always there and always active. The button on the console operates the "locker". It isn't a real locker, but a simulated lock, activated by the clutches in the ELSD clamping down. There are no modes that disable the ELSD, and no button that turns it off. It is even active with the Traction Control, or ESC(Advancetrac) turned off.

Bo Simmons

Reaction score
My 2020 Epxy XLT with the "F4" off-road package has the same choices that @SyndicateZ showed in his photo above. https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/4h-4a-2h.52689/post-484657. So I don't have a 4L, but I have the same icon with the 4 tires in the top right of his photo. I think this has something to do with the towing / locking differential, but I'd appreciate it if someone could give me some layman's explanation or point me to links to read on what this is and when or how to use that setting.

background: I was just in Steamboat Springs CO for the month of January '24, and our expedition did great! I used 4A with Snow/Ice/ Gravel drive mode virtually all the time as there was either ice, snow, or snow-packed icy road most of the month. I did feel I needed to use 4L setting once or twice at a very low speed when we had a 2 foot snow and I was having trouble getting the car out of a very slight slope or it was so deep I felt I was getting stuck. in 4L I tried to stay in the 10-15 mph range and stopped and shifted out.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated for the set up we have with the F4 package ( i.e. no 4H choice), as we will be out again in Winter driving next year. Also thanks to @LokiWolf and many others who guided me in prior posts to drive the 4000 miles RT with just new M/S tire treads and steered me away from trying to drive out there on true snow tires - great call!