Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One thing I noted while removing the factory pads/rotors, is that the rear pads were 3 times as worn as the front pads (35K miles on them). Also, learning the fun way that you need to put the Expy into "Parking Brake Maintenance Mode" prior to resetting the rear calibers. Broke the pads in, but waiting for after another wk of driving before I attempt 911 braking. So far stops a little better w/o any noise.

^Confirmed to work on 4th Gen Expys^
*The button he is referring to is the "Parking Brake Release" button (Expys on left side under headlight control panel).

Last edited:

lscrx

Reaction score
How are you liking the brakes you installed? I think mine are about due for replacement, any weird stuff to look for other than the parking brake maintenance mode?

I just noticed you're in Evans! I live right down the road in North Augusta.

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How are you liking the brakes you installed? I think mine are about due for replacement, any weird stuff to look for other than the parking brake maintenance mode?

I just noticed you're in Evans! I live right down the road in North Augusta.
Just the maintenance mode. I originally had semi-metallic pads all around & they stop on a dime (lots of brake dust). Had an issue with one front inner pad sticking. Replaced the front pads with a nice set of ceramic pads (very low on brake dust).

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since your in the area, Fairway Ford sent me this yesterday (their lot is empty):

This is Dick, the General Sales Manager at Fairway Ford Evans. Our Memorial Day Sales Event is happening now! Due to an unexpected demand in the market, we are in need of pre-owned vehicles and will pay top dollar for your trade this Memorial Day! Would you be willing to sell or trade your vehicle for above market value?

lscrx

Reaction score
Just the maintenance mode. I originally had semi-metallic pads all around & they stop on a dime (lots of brake dust). Had an issue with one front inner pad sticking. Replaced the front pads with a nice set of ceramic pads (very low on brake dust).

Do you like the ceramic pads? The brakes are the worst thing about my XLT's performance right now... not confidence inspiring when you really push them. If you don't' mind checking, what specific pads are you using, if you like them it would save me some time in shopping around.

lscrx

Reaction score
Since your in the area, Fairway Ford sent me this yesterday (their lot is empty):

This is Dick, the General Sales Manager at Fairway Ford Evans. Our Memorial Day Sales Event is happening now! Due to an unexpected demand in the market, we are in need of pre-owned vehicles and will pay top dollar for your trade this Memorial Day! Would you be willing to sell or trade your vehicle for above market value?

That's funny, my previous vehicle was a 2020 Explorer XLT that I bought in February 2020 for $31k OTD from Stokes Hodges Ford. Six months later Carvana offered me $36k for it... so I sold it to them and bought the 2019 Expedition I have now from Gerald Jones Ford for $33k. I checked the other day, and Vroom would buy my Expedition for $37k after I've owned it for 9 months and put an additional 12k miles on it.

Selling is tempting, but there isn't really anything that could replace it. The Suburban is too weak, the Armada is too small, the Landcruiser is too expensive and too small. The Explorer was too small, which made selling it to Carvana a no brainer... the space behind the 3rd row was tiny (kind of like the non-Max Expedition) and I've got too many kids to have the 3rd row folded all the time.

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you like the ceramic pads? The brakes are the worst thing about my XLT's performance right now... not confidence inspiring when you really push them. If you don't' mind checking, what specific pads are you using, if you like them it would save me some time in shopping around.
What I put up front. Very happy with them. Also, I installed drilled and slotted rotors 3 months prior. These pads transfer material to the rotors filling in any scoring that may be there.
https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and...per-free-ceramic-brake-pads-de2087/645344_0_0
Rotors used:
https://brakeperformance.com/brake-rotors/premium-dimpled-&-slotted-brake-kit-black-zinc-coating.php
While I was installing the rotors I did a brake fluid flush. Stops like a car now.

lscrx

Reaction score
What I put up front. Very happy with them. Also, I installed drilled and slotted rotors 3 months prior. These pads transfer material to the rotors filling in any scoring that may be there.
https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and...per-free-ceramic-brake-pads-de2087/645344_0_0
Rotors used:
https://brakeperformance.com/brake-rotors/premium-dimpled-&-slotted-brake-kit-black-zinc-coating.php
While I was installing the rotors I did a brake fluid flush. Stops like a car now.

Thanks! I may just do the pads for now... depending on what the rotors look like.