4th Gen Expy FORScan Modifications

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've got an 18, looking forward to seeing what I can do with Forscan. A few quick questions to start:

- one recommended adapter is $35, one is $150. What's the advantage to getting the more expensive one?

- I noticed in one of the first few posts (5.5 years ago), that the Forscan guys had not yet "hacked" the new generation so many features were not available. Has that been overcome by now?

- I've got the clicking mirror issue. TSB SSM47845. Can I use Forscan to reprogram the power mirror module to stop doing this?
What 2 adapters are you talking about specifically? I recommend both the OBDLink products. EX(USB Wired, only usable with a Computer), MX+(BTLE Wireless, usable with anything). Both can be used for programming with FORSCAN on a Windows Computer. The MX+ can be used for digital gauges, and reading and clearing DTC's with a Mobile device both iOS and Android.

Most of the 4th Gen strategy's up to 2021 are included now in FORSCAN. Limited abilities in the 22+, but more and more things being defined.

Not sure on the Mirror, never needed to, so can neither confirm or deny.

seventieslord

Reaction score
What 2 adapters are you talking about specifically? I recommend both the OBDLink products. EX(USB Wired, only usable with a Computer), MX+(BTLE Wireless, usable with anything). Both can be used for programming with FORSCAN on a Windows Computer. The MX+ can be used for digital gauges, and reading and clearing DTC's with a Mobile device both iOS and Android.

Most of the 4th Gen strategy's up to 2021 are included now in FORSCAN. Limited abilities in the 22+, but more and more things being defined.

Not sure on the Mirror, never needed to, so can neither confirm or deny.
OK, so the MX+'s main benefit is that it's wireless and that's it?

Plus it can be used with the Android version and not just PC, but if my plan is to only use the PC version (as the Android version is just a neutered version of PC) then I may as well just get the EX.

Unless when you say this,
The MX+ can be used for digital gauges, and reading and clearing DTC's
You're saying that the EX can't do that at all. Because I want that functionality. Or are you just saying the EX can do it, but just not on mobile devices?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK, so the MX+'s main benefit is that it's wireless and that's it?

Plus it can be used with the Android version and not just PC, but if my plan is to only use the PC version (as the Android version is just a neutered version of PC) then I may as well just get the EX.

Unless when you say this,

You're saying that the EX can't do that at all. Because I want that functionality. Or are you just saying the EX can do it, but just not on mobile devices?
EX can only be used with a PC. It is a hard wired connection. USB A. Not something an Android phone comes with. Might be able to use with a USBC adapter, but that seems pointless. The MX+ is a great adapter, and well worth the price.

ttimlin08

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to separate the CCD settings from drive modes? I have a 19 with CCDs and would ideally like to have the shocks in sport to firm up the ride.. without the transmission also being in sport mode. On the 3rd gen trucks this was doable through IPC settings where you could display settings in the cluster. Can’t find anything for a 4th gen though.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows!!

caddelma

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to separate the CCD settings from drive modes? I have a 19 with CCDs and would ideally like to have the shocks in sport to firm up the ride.. without the transmission also being in sport mode. On the 3rd gen trucks this was doable through IPC settings where you could display settings in the cluster. Can’t find anything for a 4th gen though.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows!!
I would love to figure it out as well. In doing some searching, appears some of the F150's have the ability to adjust weight values in the VDM module that change the dampening characteristics. Came across this post https://www.f150ecoboost.net/threads/suspension-tuning-around-fords-active-suspension.85653/ , but did not see a direct correlation on the VDM module on our 2021 to attempt making any adjustments. Personally find the normal drive mode CCD settings to be severely underdamped, although I was used to a lifted 2014 F150 with 10/ply BFG's and now a 2023 F250 so I prefer a firm ride.

Attachments

• 2021_Expy_VDM.png
    2021_Expy_VDM.png
    302.8 KB · Views: 8