4th Gen Maintenance Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I'm curious, when I check the factory maintenance schedule, I don't see any mention of typical services I've done with every 4WD I've ever owned. even past 100k miles. Things like 4Wheel service, differential flushes, T-Case and tranny flush, etc. Does anyone have a different schedule that might include the more mechanical maintenance tasks? As much as I don't like paying for these services, I do like to do them and just curious if anyone has any recommendations for this vehicle? I mean when I search the online stuff, i finally find spark plug replacements around 100k.

thanks in advance. And I did search the forum about 12 ways from Sunday and couldn't find a thread that talks about this.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I changed the transmission and transfer case fluid at 60k. To me, the old fluid looked like it wasn’t terrible but time to be replaced. I also added a magnetic drain plug to the transfer case drain. I’m really skeptical about how far out Ford recommends service intervals on the 4th gens. I can’t see how anyone will get 100k to the spark plugs unless you want to be dealing with sporadic misfires from 75k up. More like 40k - 50k is realistic for the spark plugs and usually what most turbocharged engine manufacturers recommend. Brake fluid is also very important. Flushing the brakes every 3-4 years helps to rid moisture really helps restore a mushy pedal and prevent calipers from seizing. Next on my list is the front and rear differentials. I’ve always done that as well in between 60-70k or 3-4 years. Lastly, I usually only go about 3500 miles on Ford dealer oil changes since it’s semi synthetic fluid. I change it on my own in between with full synthetic and use that for about 4 - 5k miles max and if I don’t hit that mileage in a year I change it annually no matter what the mileage. One other note I can recommend is to use Ford fluids for the trans, transfer case and differentials. The trans especially is a Mercon Ultra Low viscosity type and the transfer case is a Mercon low viscosity and very specific to this model. Diffs also take a specific synthetic type thinner gear oil 75w-85 and can be found aftermarket but to me not worth it and just get it at the dealer.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you, these are exactly the kind of responses I was looking for. I don't understand why Ford isn't publishing stuff like this. Hell it makes them money, are the purposely trying to make long term care look cheaper? Crap, my wife's acura clearly states this stuff.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The owners manual has a lot of this in the scheduled maintenance section. Ford's interval for the transmission, differentials, and transfer case is 150,000 miles. It also lists out different schedules if you tow a trailer, idle excessively, or drive off-road. I plan on changing fluids earlier than they recommend for peace of mind.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You would think the maintenance suggestions and schedule online, using your VIN or your MyFord saved vehicle would match what's in the manual. Regardless, given that the 4wheel service (diffs and tcase only) is nearly $700, I'm thinking I'll do this around 50-60k miles. I don't tow extreme amounts these days but definitely some hard work up and down passes.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went ahead and did front and rear diffs and transfer cases along with spark plugs at around 130,000 kms. I am around 144,000 kms. I could prob do the transmission too. Never hurts...

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just to update everyone - I replaced the rear diff fluid and this is what the magnetic fill and drain plugs looked like. Vehicle has 67k and little to no towing and as you can see from the tin man look of the plugs it was good timing to do. There was no large metal chunks and no diff noises but I can’t see going over 100k on original fluid. I have a Max with the 3:31 gearing and 9.75 diff so it took three quarts from the dealer of the Ford Synthetic 75w85 hypoid gear oil. Some non Max vehicles have an 8.8 rear and would take around 2. When it’s out of Warranty and a little over 100k I’ll do it again and most likely go up to 75w110 weight oil. A lot of the Ford F-150 guys go straight to even heavier fluid but are towing very often.

Attachments

• 2C249884-7EBF-4BAD-9132-A4071B50D673.jpeg
    2C249884-7EBF-4BAD-9132-A4071B50D673.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 68

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are the plugs hard to get out of the heads on the 3.5? I’m always concerned on late model stuff about pulling threads out, etc. Seems some fords were a problem hold with a weird plug that captured carbon in the early 2000s.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I own Acura MDX and I usually change rear diff fluid, transfer case, transmission fluid every 30k miles. Oil change every 5k miles. I apply the same maintenance to my 2019 XLT since I want to keep it for a while plus I tow 4000 boat in summer time. I did change the rear diff, front, transfer case around 20k miles as preventive maintenance. I will probably let the dealer change the ATF at 60k miles.