4th Gen windshield replacement? Almost made me lose my mind.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking for some experience from our fellow owners. As is so common in Colorado with both sides of the highway a trash pile, little debris cleanup, and sand everywhere, I had a pebble hit the windshield and splinter from the bottom left up to the top left in an hour.

I've always used Safelite and have always had pretty good service, bit just went to get a quote from them for a replacement online and was quoted $1200. Are you kidding me? My colleague that was with me at the time has a 4yr old Range Rover with the embedded heating element top to bottom and she said her last one was $1200. They are trying to charge a $375 "recalibration" fee. Anyone out there had a better experience with a dealer? It's not really in my line of sight so I may wait a bit but it does distract me, and I generally always try to fix something like this right away.

It's nuts, I was expecting maybe $700-800. Sure makes me appreciate my old car with lidar in the grill, if the ACC on this is what's killing the price. I really don't want to use insurance (have usaa but no windshield coverage in CO) so I'd have to make a comprehensive claim. Would hate to see that impact my rates.

Tuck

Reaction score
I've got USAA also. I would check with them on the rate increase. From what I remember they usually won't increase your rate from something like this if you haven't had a claim in the past few years. 6K in damage from a hailstorm, didn't affect my rates. It wouldn't hurt to ask to see if they would even cover it and what it would do to your rates.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think comprehensive claims make your rates go up. I've had windshield replacements done and my wife had an $8,000 claim after hitting a deer. Our rates stayed the same.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the windshield on my 18 limited replaced due to a rock over 2 years ago. It was around the same price. The only place to get the windshield at the time was the dealer as there was no aftermarket ones made (didn’t want one anyways). Mine has the defrosters on the wiper blades. The guy who did it told me he never has to recalibrate anything when using OEM glass and I’ve had no problems.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got USAA also. I would check with them on the rate increase. From what I remember they usually won't increase your rate from something like this if you haven't had a claim in the past few years. 6K in damage from a hailstorm, didn't affect my rates. It wouldn't hurt to ask to see if they would even cover it and what it would do to your rates.
Thanks, Insurance companies are one of those people you hate to call, because once you do and you tell them what it's about, they have you on record. There's no real "informational" approach with them.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the windshield on my 18 limited replaced due to a rock over 2 years ago. It was around the same price. The only place to get the windshield at the time was the dealer as there was no aftermarket ones made (didn’t want one anyways). Mine has the defrosters on the wiper blades. The guy who did it told me he never has to recalibrate anything when using OEM glass and I’ve had no problems.
Thanks, I'll have to call the dealer as well, I too have the heating elements for the wipers. I don't see why you'd have to "recalibrate" anything, unless you're removing the camera array, etc. and even then, only if that is designed in a way that may move rather than having a static mount.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think $1200 is about the going rate for windshields today. I have a stone chip in mine. Had it sealed via safelite. I did call my agent and she told me, even though I have 0 cost replacement, yes, my rates will go up. Really? Why do I pay you? There was a thread on here about OEM verses generic. You might want to do a search.

Also, a friend had her windshield replaced on her Hyundai and she had to have hers recalibrated for the cameras. She had Safelite replace it, then she had to go to the dealer for recalibration.

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have Allstate insurance and it covers broken windshields with NO deductible. I've had 2 windshields replaced and 3 repairs, all were $0 dollars for me.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had my 2018 windshield replaced twice. It was done by Crystal Auto Glass and is an OEM replacement EXCEPT for the warming diodes in the wiper area. The cost was $535 CDN to replace each one. Yes, they also "suggested" the recalibration but when I talked with them they said don't do it unless your car is exhibiting specific issues. I never have done it and my DCC and LKA work just fine.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think $1200 is about the going rate for windshields today. I have a stone chip in mine. Had it sealed via safelite. I did call my agent and she told me, even though I have 0 cost replacement, yes, my rates will go up. Really? Why do I pay you? There was a thread on here about OEM verses generic. You might want to do a search.

Also, a friend had her windshield replaced on her Hyundai and she had to have hers recalibrated for the cameras. She had Safelite replace it, then she had to go to the dealer for recalibration.

My wife is a licensed insurance agent in our state, working for an independent insurance agency that deals with many different personal insurance lines (auto and home).

None of the companies she writes for will raise the insured’s rates for a comprehensive vehicle claim.

Some companies will review the claim history if there is an excessive number of comprehensive claims by the same person within a specific amount of time (24 months?) - which could lead to a fraud investigation.