4WD Failure in sand (hill assist/descent faults warnings)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

DCS_express

Reaction score
Hello all, sorry for not replying sooner. I am not able to check here as frequently lately. Similar to apex96 my warnings and errors cleared out on their own. I did take it to the dealer and got the usual message about not being able to recreate the issue. Had it on the beach many times since then without any issues. I typically drive in sand mode sometimes with the rear locker engaged / sometimes without on harder sand. I will say that our sand here in Florida isn't as deep as in Hatteras (I lived there for awhile). I don't really have to air down my tires ever. When I lived in Hatteras air down was pretty standard procedure.

OP
OP
D

DCS_express

Reaction score
Our 4X4 only beach has been closed for over a year for re-nourishment and the sand there is deeper. It reopens tomorrow so I will be driving it there more now and will let if any issues resurface.

ChiliPowder

Reaction score
So my *Explorer* had the same thing happen when I was on an icy back road. After five minutes of driving on the icy road, the traction control, abs, stability control, all died. Luckily I still had 4wd so I managed to get out, but I think the system can only handle so much before it gets confused and faults.

And everything cleared after some time. Honestly after that incident, I just started turning off traction control or using sand mode for everything, unless I'm on pavement.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357