4x4 Auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Marshall

Reaction score
2009 Expedition Limited
4x4

I know what 4H and 4L setting mean and do. I understand that 4x4 Auto is auto sensing when the vehicle may need 4 wheel drive traction. Is it safe to run the vehicle in 4x4 Auto at all times? Or at least at all times when driving in rain or bad co dictions that may not fully require four wheel drive but might possibly need it at times?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s exactly what 4Auto is meant for.

And really, since it is auto sensing, you can leave it in that position all the time since it only engages 4wd when you need it.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't use auto 4wd unless you are on a road that could use regular 4wd but you don't want the wheel binding action. Great for a snowy/icy road but that's about it, otherwise you are just wasting gas, power, and wearing out parts needlessly. It's 2wd 99% of the time for me.

Plati

Reaction score
I wouldn't use auto 4wd unless you are on a road that could use regular 4wd but you don't want the wheel binding action. Great for a snowy/icy road but that's about it, otherwise you are just wasting gas, power, and wearing out parts needlessly. It's 2wd 99% of the time for me.
Totally disagree. 4A is good for full time use ... according to ALL the documentation Ford puts out & my personal experience. Great for wet roads. I've run hundreds of thousand of miles in 4A on multiple Expy's since 1999. Does'nt wear out parts (perhaps a tiny amount, but they can handle it) or use any more than a thimble full of extra fuel and any loss of power would be so miniscule nobody could ever notice it. But it could save lives.

Of course this is typical on a Forum ... no consensus ... ever on anything.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
MrSticker, you’ve been around long enough to know who knows their stuff and who doesn’t. There are certain members on here that when I read their replies, I’m like: “OMG no! That is completely wrong!” It’s clear who knows how things work and who don’t.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Auto 4wd engages the 4wd system ONLY when there is a significant difference in wheel speed detected. Going around a corner in auto 4wd won’t cause driveline binding. Why? Because going around a corner does not cause the system to engage.

As far as saving gas and wearing out parts goes: guess what, all those driveline parts are spinning regardless of being in 2wd or auto 4wd. ZERO difference in driveline inefficiencies.

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Auto 4wd engages the 4wd system ONLY when there is a significant difference in wheel speed detected. Going around a corner in auto 4wd won’t cause driveline binding. Why? Because going around a corner does not cause the system to engage.

As far as saving gas and wearing out parts goes: guess what, all those driveline parts are spinning regardless of being in 2wd or auto 4wd. ZERO difference in driveline inefficiencies.
Nailed it. Although ppl have their preferences, I have probably used 4A twice in the 4 years I’ve owned my 16. Both times were to make sure it would actually switch to 4A as I always have it in 2WD. Now that I’m tuned, I Use 4hi for my boost launches (or for when I’m offroad). As stated above, even when in 2WD everything is still spinning regardless.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
MrSticker, you’ve been around long enough to know who knows their stuff and who doesn’t. There are certain members on here that when I read their replies, I’m like: “OMG no! That is completely wrong!” It’s clear who knows how things work and who don’t.
Yea, it's clear to me...lol, because you are wrong and so is Sungirl. None of those parts on an Expy are turning up front when you are in 2WD, plus they DO use more gas, power, and wear parts.