4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ARCH

Reaction score
Is the 18 and 19 Expeditions True 4x4 or auto 4x4 I only see 2H and 4A in the pictures

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends, some are and some aren’t. You can get a 2 speed transfer case with 4 Low with the FX4 package and or HD tow package. Not very conventional to Ford and I hope they change this, when you check the box for 4x4 on a truck based SUV you should get a 2 speed transfer case. They do this to cut costs, it’s cheaper to supply a transfer case without low range.

OP
OP
A

ARCH

Reaction score
Thanks for the info was very helpfull

rhk118

Reaction score
That’s correct. If it isn’t FX4 or Tow package, it’s only 4A and 2WD. With the FX4 or tow package you get 4A, 4L and can lock the rear diff only

EDIT: removed 4H as there isn't one, just 4A and 4 low....

Last edited:

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just remember, there won't ever be a "4H" button even with the 4x4 or HD Tow package. I've experimented with selecting 4A in Normal drive mode (only drives rear wheels until there is slip then sends power to the front), and snow mode which sends power almost equally to front and rear. This is monitored using the power distribution screen in the driver's display.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I’m in rough conditions or slick ones like a boat ramp I go right to 4H and skip 4A. More predictable and it’s all locked together 50/50 so no slip.

Last edited:

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I’m in rough conditions or slick ones like a boat ramp I go right to 4H and skip 4A. More predictable and it’s all locked together 50/50 so no slip.
Ford did away with 4H on the new model.

You either have 4A/2WD if single speed transfer case

Or

4A/2H/4L with 2 speed transfer case which comes with the HD Tow or FX4. This also includes the Rear Locker.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a selection on the Navigator (and I assume the Expedition) that is right before 4 low that is 4H (at least acts like 4H with no slippage). I tested all modes except 4 low on a boat ramp. I forget which setting this is, but it is next to the 4L setting.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a selection on the Navigator (and I assume the Expedition) that is right before 4 low that is 4H (at least acts like 4H with no slippage). I tested all modes except 4 low on a boat ramp. I forget which setting this is, but it is next to the 4L setting.

Osteodoc is correct if you google images, no 4H selection.

Last edited: