5.0 coyote swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpwhre

Reaction score
Back towards the beginning of the year I found a post either here or f150 enthusiasts about a harness for sells for $1500 to bolt a coyote into older Fords to run that motor into ecu and Trans controller and have everything working properly. I cannot for the life of me find that post.

Before you nay-say about this. My 06 xp has 75k miles, and when I was looking into this I was having trouble codes a mile long, they suddenly cleared and I passed inspections for another 2 year tag. And the codes came back 2 days later. After a few hours with someone from here helping me on the phone, he suggested driving it to it blows. Well the tranny needs rebuild as it is slipping and acting funny, drivers side head gasket blew out, all the way around, oil ran dry, and short of pieces flying out, it's dead. A new crate engine from ford is pricy, and I don't want another 5.4 3v sohc junk anchor under the hood. I've located a 2016 f150 coyote used with 35k for $2950.

Motor needs replaced period. I'd rather the 5.0.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Power steering and transmission is the big issue here, EPAS vs hydraulic. The only engine that shares the steering pump and rack with the 5.4L Triton is the 6.2L Boss. I would just get a new reman 5.4L 3V Triton from PowerSource. Check them out. Once the issues with the timing set are addressed (chain tensioners and oil pump) the 3-valves are good engines. Not to mention you’ll be disappointed in the step back on low end torque going from a 5.4 3V to a gen 1 5.0, the 5.4 torque curve swallows the 5.0 whole until 4K RPM. The new 2018+ 5.0 with direct injection and high compression changed this but a 2016 will still be down on twist in the low revs. Ultimately a lot of work and a lot more unneeded $$$ and frustration.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i met a guy that did this...i mentioned it in here years ago and got my head chewed off on how its not possible to do what i saw

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not that it can’t be done....but do you want an engine with less low end torque in a 6,000 pound rolling refrigerator where 90% of your driving is low RPM’s? It doesn’t seem very attractive to go through all that headache to have to push the gas pedal harder to move. The 5.0 is great for higher rpm but the 5.4 is a better candidate for getting 6,000 pounds off the line with 2,000 rpm.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not that it can’t be done....but do you want an engine with less low end torque in a 6,000 pound rolling refrigerator where 90% of your driving is low RPM’s? It doesn’t seem very attractive to go through all that headache to have to push the gas pedal harder to move. The 5.0 is great for higher rpm but the 5.4 is a better candidate for getting 6,000 pounds off the line with 2,000 rpm.

the guy that did it had it supercharged and the truck was just a shell...no seats or anything in it

Brons2

Reaction score