5.4 Coolant crossover leak repair w/out removing intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CP11EXP

Reaction score
2011 EL 132k miles.

Symptoms:
I was noticing the smell of coolant after driving the car for even short drives.
Vehicle would go into high fan mode and I noticed it was low on coolant. Refilled and after a week or less it started to go on high fan again. Coolant level was low again, refilled.
No noticeable leaks from the hoses. No leaks from the radiator area.
I noticed some coolant behind bellhousing, and on hoses under transmission. Not enough to cause a puddle on the ground.

I was confused by the symptoms, so I did some Google and Youtube "research" and figured it was the seal on the crossover in the front of the engine. Sure enough, there was a puddle of coolant under the front most driver side coil and around the driver side of the crossover. Research also told me the intake would have to come off to complete the repair. Then I found the following videos that show how to replace the gaskets without removing the intake.

I was able to complete the job in about 1.5 hours. Mine was only leaking from the driver side, but I replaced both anyways. Bought the parts at Ford dealership for about $34.

Tools needed:
8mm socket
10mm socket
8mm "swivel socket" (not required but very helpful for rear driver side bolt on crossover)
Pliers and screwdriver to remove hoses

Basic steps to complete the job:
Disconnect battery
Remove air intake tube
Remove belt
Remove alternator bolts (2 on top bracket) and loosen the 2 on front. You don't need to disconnect the wires on the alternator, just put it to the side.
You can drain the coolant if you don't want to make a mess. I did not. I made a mess.
Remove coolant hoses on both sides of crossover pipe
Trim or file down excess casting on the block per videos above.
Remove three bolts on each side, slide out crossover.
Clean and install new gaskets
Reassemble everything. I did have a bit of trouble getting the passenger side back in underneath the intake, but with a little leverage it went in.
Refill coolant.

These are the part numbers I used:
3L3Z-8C387-AC
3L3Z-8C388-AC

I was expecting this to be a big expense to have it done by a shop, so for less than $50 I was happy to get it taken care of. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's great. Thank you for the info, CP. I'll be "filing" this one away as my '14 EL LTD has 105K...

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At that milage I would do the intake gaskets just because they start to flatten out. It's really not that much work to pull it off, valve cover gaskets would be worth looking into as well, I did my crossover at 120,000 miles and then my valve cover gaskets started leaking at 150,000 and I had to tear it all back apart.

OP
OP
C

CP11EXP

Reaction score
At that milage I would do the intake gaskets just because they start to flatten out. It's really not that much work to pull it off, valve cover gaskets would be worth looking into as well, I did my crossover at 120,000 miles and then my valve cover gaskets started leaking at 150,000 and I had to tear it all back apart.
Why would you have to tear apart the intake again to do valve cover gaskets?

Fair point on the other gaskets, but I'm more of a fan of not disturbing anything that is working correctly if I don't have to, which again was a benefit of this method of replacing the crossover gaskets.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why would you have to tear apart the intake again to do valve cover gaskets?

Fair point on the other gaskets, but I'm more of a fan of not disturbing anything that is working correctly if I don't have to, which again was a benefit of this method of replacing the crossover gaskets.
I got tired of fixing one leak and then having another one pop up within a year, so I did them all at the same time. I also rewrapped the wiring harness and replaced all the broken connectors that the plastic had gotten brittle on, and all new o-rings on the fuel system. I know it's good to go for another 10 years and I shouldn't have to dig into it the rest of the time I own it.