5.4 L engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gramp12

Reaction score
I own a 2014 Ford Expedition EL with a 5.4 L engine. It has 86,000 miles. About 3 weeks ago when I started the car I the engine barley ran; it rattled and shacked the car. I have it towed to the nearest Ford dealer. The service rep said that I needed a long block at a cost of between $8,500 – $9,500 . I did some research and it sounds like the cam phaser issue. Has anyone else had this experience with a 2014 Ford Expedition?

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have the space/time/tools/ability to do it?

Would save yourself 8 to 9 thou....

86K miles and the timing set and/or phasers are bad? What oil/filter do you run? Or maybe...NOT run, perhaps...

Mine's got 189K, still starts, and idles like brand new.

Zach Dean

Reaction score
I own a 2014 Ford Expedition EL with a 5.4 L engine. It has 86,000 miles. About 3 weeks ago when I started the car I the engine barley ran; it rattled and shacked the car. I have it towed to the nearest Ford dealer. The service rep said that I needed a long block at a cost of between $8,500 – $9,500 . I did some research and it sounds like the cam phaser issue. Has anyone else had this experience with a 2014 Ford Expedition?
Mechanics are monsters sometimes, replace the spark plugs

OP
OP
G

Gramp12

Reaction score
This is the diagnosis from the dealer
Diag system KOEO Pull code P0304 cyl 4 misfire. Perform power balance Confirm # 4 is low. Perform manual pressure test #4 0 psi. Scope cylinder looks like something got in the cylinder and beat the piston and wall up. Truck needs long block

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
It's possible the dealer is right. It could have dropped a valve. But I'd either pull the valve cover, look in the cylinder myself and perform a pressure test on it myself or get a good second opinion if I didn't know how to do that.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second above. They could be correct and it sounds like a possible diagnosis that makes sense. On the other hand you have to be careful nowadays dealer shops can screw you too. Greedy shops and underpaid mechanics are becoming a big issue where mechanics are at times having to screw people just to survive. Dealer mechanics are usually compensated ok but still seem to want to sell engines. Maybe it’s the service writers in that case. Just ask to see the scope images I suppose. They could very well be right....what they describe does happen.

Last edited: