5.4 or 3.5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sound is a big part of the Harley mystique. Stock, the big twins aren't fast by today's standards. But part of Harley's sales tactics has been for years to sell the customer a ton of chrome, louder screaming eagle pipes, and a bunch of other goodies to make it compete with other bikes, back in the day British, today Japanese. Harley went as far as to patent their sound. The crankshaft throw is different than any other big twin, and as such gives it that unique potato, potato idle sound. The Harley Vrod was co-engineered by designers at Porsche, which is one reason why it's so damned fast. Could Harley engineers have designed it without Porsches help? Probably, but they've learned it's ok to outsource. Harley's always had trouble stopping. With the new twin cam model back in 99, they outsourced a dual piston caliper for all the new models, from Brembo corporation. Same goes for the front forks, and rear shocks, they reached out to the Japanese company Showa to help improve ride, and handling through corners. Theirs nothing wrong with asking for help, we all do it, even here on the forum.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Harley Davidson certainly is doing something right, I’m no bike guy but when I hear motorcycle I think Harley Davidson right away. Whether it be sound, chrome, styling....maybe they are just excellent marketers.....but I’ve always enjoyed looking at a nice Harley.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to mention their a babe magnet. Women seem to get pulled to them like a grizzly does to salmon! It's that bad boy, I don't care attitude. Problem is, that's what attracts them, and they spend the next 40 years trying to exorcise that bad boy attitude out of you. Usually doesn't end well. Bad boy's, still want to ride at 70 years old if they can. Three kids and a mortgage, the Mrs says no. If you've got one that still let's you ride, you chose wisely!

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We are Harley Bikers and we both ride. Not to hijack this thread, but my '03 Road King Classic is all stock with the exception of the stage one upgrade. Much better with that.
My wife has her license and I rebuilt my old '76 FLH Shovelhead for her to ride. She prefers the back of the RK though, so I get to keep the Shovel up and running for her. Bummer, but I'll do it...
Our rides...
DSC_0001-001.JPG DSC_0011-001.JPG DSCN0879-001.JPG

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's that chrome I spoke of. Harley's just look naked without it. Glad both you and the wife ride. You should consider getting a little newer bike for your third bike so she can ride with you more. Your lucky, my wife and women before her, never wanted to ride their own bike. Don't get me wrong, its nice having a nice warm lady behind you, but having a riding buddy that doesn't have a 5 o'clock Shadow is a lot nicer to be behind as she rolls down the road. Better view from behind!

Brian_Cordell

Reaction score
I'm in the evaluation stage on the Expy, which is why I'm reading this thread, but Honda V4 makes the noise for me! Yes, my exhaust is still stock after 17 years and 62,000 miles.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mike Rush

Reaction score
After owning Expys with both engines,the 3.5 wins hands down.Pulling my boat the 5.4 got 8-10 mpg highway while my 3.5 with 6 speed auto gets 16-21 mpg.It also has more pickup on ramps and hills .

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having owned an 03 Expy, 06 F150 both with the 5.4 and now an 18 Expy with gen 2-3.5 EB. Hands down the 3.5. It pulls on my brothers 05 F150 with 5.4 and leaves it in the dust. It also pulls better than my 2016 F150 with 5.0 I traded when I got the expy as a family hauler.

As far as bikes, I love the whine of a large bore 4 cylinder *** bike and the HD of course. 2 different animals but oh so intoxicating. Gave up my 2015 Kawi ZX-14R SE when I became a single father.

Last edited:

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i had a 2010 F150 crew cab 4x4 3.55 gearset. with the 5.4 IMO it was never a grunt motor. it downshifted from 6th at every little overpass.
never felt like it had guts of glory. low end tq was pretty low imo.
it always seemed imo to be making alot of noise but not as much delivery.
but i had just come form a crew cab dually 6.0 diesel 4.30 gears. it would flat jump

but my 3.5 has tons of low end grunt push you back tq. 2 3 and 4 th gear are imo awesome in the tq range in normal drivng, yes i have the 3.73 gears and 4 x4 but it does not downshift on over passes

i also had a 2013 4x4 crew cab 3.55 gears f150 kr...it had gobs of tq as well, it was scary quick

We have a 2015 4x2 with the 3.15 rear end. I wish I had the 3.73s, we pull a boat that weighs 6900
Lbs on the trailer and I usually lock out 6th because it down shifts. It loves 5th towing. I figure my 5th gear is probably about the same final drive as a 6th gear with 3.73s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
My travel trailer isn't as heavy as your boat but I don't miss the 3.73 axles that were on my '07. 3.30 4x4 here. All have the same maximum towing capacity.

As long as the transmission isn't hunting (constantly up and then downshifting) it's fine. Transmission temperature shows on the dash of my '17 so is easy to monitor.

-- Chuck