5.4 rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AksoBruce

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has had any difficulty rebuilding a 5.4, because I am looking forward to it on my Gen 1. Not really looking forward to it, but it's either rebuilding myself, or getting a long block and swapping.

I did an oil change this weekend and the oil had a very strong smell of fuel and was thin, so that leads me to believe my rings are shot. There are a couple other things to consider, but rings are most common for this type if fault.

I have rebuilt my fair share of old V8's. This will be my first "MODERN" engine.

'97? Modern? Yeah, whatever. :)

OP
OP
AksoBruce

AksoBruce

Reaction score
I have looked at Powertrain Products and they are cheaper than NAPA or OReilys by $400 for the 5 year warranty. They can also supply the engine install kit for $400 ($399.99) and free shipping to my address. Could be my best option for a swap. I need to contact Jasper also.

Another fault has popped up also. Now, after the oil change, there is a very pronounced ticking coming from the right bank that sounds like a collapsed lifter. I know this engine doesn't have lifters, but the lash adjusters are kind the same thing. The ticking comes and goes, but is getting louder. I am going to tear into it this weekend and with luck it is only an adjuster and maybe a rocker or two making the noise and I can patch it for a while. With this vehicle being our only runner at the moment, we're in some dire straits. I have to have a solid game plan on the shelf before I can take her off the road.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jasper is nothing to what it used to be. Not sure who the rebuilder is for NAPA or O'Reily

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The mechanic I use has stopped using Jasper. Had several bad engines. They did replace them, but lots of extra time and those were supposed to be the top of the line for rebuilt.

00XTL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have rebuilt one once. Fairly simple engines. Just take your time and remember to torque. No sense of doing all that to cut corners. Plus there are a ton of videos on YouTube if you get stuck. As a dealership guy i would say to use factory parts but i know that can get costly so just be are if you dont. Best of luck. Cant wait to read about the updates

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a powertrain products engine, works great. They also fix the problems with the low thread count on the heads so theirs won’t eject spark plugs. I did not get the extra warranty as I don’t drive this much and the years will be gone long before my miles. I believe I’ve had the motor 2 years and have 10-15k on it.

9869EB39-E4DE-4FB9-8EBF-131A80C73CCF.jpeg

AABCD00F-BD8C-4020-9C4C-E1E56124089D.jpeg

8DB5A5A5-458E-45B1-8EFB-33CCCB23626E.jpeg

6519C0AC-97ED-4A5F-BF73-0A1F8B220EB7.jpeg

C100F52C-E862-488B-8AA5-3869440C15E8.jpeg