5.4L 3V BEST Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustWarminup

Reaction score
As stated above, I have a blown Tensioner, I'm going to redo the guides and tensioners, possibly the chain and oil pump.

I need to know the best replacment for the Tensioners, I see there is multiple designs now.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally I used the Melling iron tensioners with the ratcheting pistons. But Ford improved the seals on their redesign of the original plastic tensioners, so many people are using those and they work well now. The rest of the parts I would stick with Ford parts. It's just not worth going with aftermarket parts here. Fel-Pro gaskets work fine for sealing everything up though. Ford also offers a high volume oil pump for the job. If you see that your old guides came apart, make sure you clean out your oil pan and oil pump screen intake.

Ford OEM Timing Kit on Amazon

Melling M340HV High Volume Oil Pump on Amazon

OP
OP
JustWarminup

JustWarminup

Reaction score
Thank you! What's the benefit to the ratcheting tensioners over stock?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you! What's the benefit to the ratcheting tensioners over stock?

It's the design Ford initially used on these motors a long time ago. No seals to go bad. They're iron instead of plastic. The ratcheting mechanism maintains a basic tension on the chain guide even with no oil pressure, so there's no chain slap on startup waiting for oil pressure to arrive in the tensioner. I'm old fashioned ....

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good info in this thread, did not know about the ratcheting tensioner, Thanks sure I will have to go down this road eventually.

OP
OP
JustWarminup

JustWarminup

Reaction score
Is there any downside? Also would this increase oil flow for the rest of the motor with 1 less drain on what little pressure they have?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there any downside? Also would this increase oil flow for the rest of the motor with 1 less drain on what little pressure they have?

Just slightly higher cost (maybe that was Ford's logic ? ) . But the benefits are worth the cost to me. They do not increase oil flow or affect it any differently than the plastic ones. The iron ones just hold the last best tension on the guide before engine shutdown, so there's no slack incurred on startup like on the plastic ones. There's no seal to fail or plastic body to crack and fail. There's no gasket or sealant used on the iron tensioners. Just the machined surface provide a good seal against the machined surface of the head.

OP
OP
JustWarminup

JustWarminup

Reaction score
Okay, what brand do you suggest? Also have a preference in Guide choice as well? Or anything to avoid more so?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, having good tensioners will increase your oil flow. Letting them go because they usually only sound bad for a few seconds (until the oil builds up in them) is a bad idea because eventually the lessened oil pressure will harm your engine and the plastic chain guides will eventually break apart, get into the oil pan, and block the oil pickup; causing even less oil pressure. I did a thread on adding a real oil pressure gauge a while back if you are interested in tackling that.......not that hard to do.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Melling is Ok for the tensioners, and you can't go wrong with Ford OEM parts for the rest, especially the phasers and chains. You will want a new crankshaft bolt as well, since it is a torque to yield bolt. Links provided on Amazon. You'll need to pull the power steering pump pulley off before removing the timing cover.

Ford OEM Timing Chain Kit on Amazon

Melling M340HV High Volume Oil Pump for Ford 5.4 on Amazon

Melling Iron Tensioners and Crankshaft Bolt for Ford 5.4 on Amazon

Gearwrench Power Steering Pulley Removal / Installer Kit on Amazon

Last edited: