5.4l Coolant Manifold crossover leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Re-read the thread. If you have a coolant leak at the crossover tube, the plastic intake is known to fail. Installing a new gasket at the crossover tube won't fix the leak.

jerod85

Reaction score
Re-read the thread. If you have a coolant leak at the crossover tube, the plastic intake is known to fail. Installing a new gasket at the crossover tube won't fix the leak.
Ok I will be sure to just change all gaskets and Owings as I come to them. Thanks again broncoholic

OP
OP
A

Al Steel

Reaction score
It's been a while but just now getting back into fixing the Expy. The top end is literally completely apart and I'm assembling the parts I need to get it back on the road. Trying to source the intake, has anyone ever tried this brand?

ATP brand intake

I know, I know, OEM is the best bet but money is a concern sooo... Thanks!

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's been a while but just now getting back into fixing the Expy. The top end is literally completely apart and I'm assembling the parts I need to get it back on the road. Trying to source the intake, has anyone ever tried this brand?

ATP brand intake

Seem to be pretty well regarded. Dorman's will run you about the same ($181) from Advance after the standard 15% off coupon.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recommend sourcing OEM the way I have. I order from FordParts.com and "shop" from Lakeland Ford in Central Florida. Their prices are consistently under MSRP. I live on the east coast of Florida and my 2 local dealers sell parts at MSRP. When I order from FordParts (Lakeland Ford) most of the items ship directly from a warehouse not in Florida, and they ship FAST, so it doesn't matter to me what dealer I "shop" from. Also, by creating an account on FordParts, you get FREE shipping. The OEM intake is currently backordered, but so is the ATP. Here's a screen shot, it's basically the same price as the ATP.
Screenshot_20221029-070437_Samsung Internet.jpg
So my recommendation is to get on FordParts and check dealers' prices near you, or just "shop" from Lakeland Ford. The only caveat of ordering the way I do is returns have to be handled by the dealer you selected, so you would have to drive, or pay to ship your return, to that dealer for them to return it to FordParts. A workaround that I just used for the 1st time this month - I received a bad part from FordParts and needed it replaced. FordParts was no help, "sorry, you need to go to Lakeland to return it". The Lakeland parts manager was helpful and was ready to pay for me to ship it to him. Instead, I ordered the replacement from FordParts "shopping" from my local dealer at MSRP and took the bad part to them to process the return.

Good luck with all of this. With parts on back order, depending on your personal urgency to get it repaired, you may land in a position of having to buy what's available.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried for 18 months to get an aluminum intake for my late 2004 5.4 and was never able to get a Ford part. I tightened the intake just a hair & it improved greatly but mine is not plastic. Do not know if available from Ford yet.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It will be more expensive when you do it twice.
Many theads on here telling of having to do it again with OEM part.
Don't take my word for it, do a search in the box top right of this page "intake manifold"

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since we're on the topic, let me strongly advise against the OEM thermostat. The one that came with my truck was clearly clearly made by someone other than whoever makes them for Ford now. They are considerably lighter and many of them bounce temps all over. If you can get new old stock off eBay, the discontinued Stant SuperStat is my #1 recommendation. If not, Motorad makes one that is at least better than Ford's tstats.

4XFORD

Reaction score
Not sure on the plastic shield , but ghis is kind of a cross post.
Everything I read seems to point to using a motorcraft intake instead of the Dorman.
Here is the problem I need an answer to:
My 1998 intake has a electric like plug in on the lower intake. It is some kind of internal blend door I think.
However, every replacement intake is completely different.
The original intake on the vehicle has the heater hose moved to the front. I understand that from responses in s different thread. What I am running into is that not only has the heater hose location is moved to the front on the replacement manifold, also there is no electric connector at the front of the bottom intake.
1). Will this replacement intake ( with the heater hose moved to the pass front) and 2) that has NO ELECTRICAL CONNECTION on the lower front intake
Will this replacement work on this 1998 where there is an electric connection on the front lower intake. ( the replacement has no electric connection on the front lower)
AND I was told just to stretch that heater hose from the rear “L” shaped heaterhose tube, to the straight up heater hose tube ( moved to the pass front of the replacement intake) on the new intake.
Is this gonna work properly with the heater hose moved to the front pass and what do I do with the electrical connection that has no plug in in the replacement intake ? 0D299E95-D390-4D96-AA98-DBD8B6E02B58.jpeg673A1D3F-7714-4DC4-B825-C18177EDBAA6.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Al Steel

Reaction score
I know this is a thread res but just an update. Unfortunately I let this truck go. I was going to do a write-up but given all the issues I had with this truck plus the rusted frame/body mounts that would never pass inspection without thousands $$$ in repair I decided it was not worth the time or money.

Thanks for the info and it might help me or someone else struggling with the same problem in the future.