5.4L Triton timing set, replace oil pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 5.4 3V is getting the startup rattle. I’m planning on ordering new OEM camphasers, chains, guides, tensioners and cleaning out the oil pan plus pickup. Is there any real need to replace the oem oil pump? I’m not seeing it as very important since my primary oil loss is coming from the leaky tensioner and not the pump.

My 5.4 does not knock or tick, it does not make any noise from under the valve covers and runs good and quiet. However lately if it sits overnight or for hours on end for about 1 second it will make noise and stop upon startup. I watched Makulocos video and he says not to ignore this long term as it means a tensioner gasket is failing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theoretically, if you have no tick and only a startup rattle, all you should need is new hydraulic tensioners. Maybe the chain guides too, while you're in there.

Fords have been having the tensioner and chain guides issue for a long time. My 99 Explorer (4.0 SOHC) had the same damn issue and I recently learned that my 2014 Expedition also has it - albeit no symptoms YET. Makes you wonder what kind of monkeys they have working in their engineering department, lol.... :rolleyes:

Out of curiosity, what's the mileage on yours?

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theoretically, if you have no tick and only a startup rattle, all you should need is new hydraulic tensioners. Maybe the chain guides too, while you're in there.

Fords have been having the tensioner and chain guides issue for a long time. My 99 Explorer (4.0 SOHC) had the same damn issue and I recently learned that my 2014 Expedition also has it - albeit no symptoms YET. Makes you wonder what kind of monkeys they have working in their engineering department, lol.... :rolleyes:

Out of curiosity, what's the mileage on yours?

150,000, and I hear you there. Lots of new EcoBoosts in the 4th gen section with the startup rattle. Ford calls it normal.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I will get an oil pressure reading to determine the condition of my original pump. The OEM Kit jumps from $800 to $1,200 with the oil pump kit included.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose the other option is wait until I can spend over a grand on the engine and do it all. Right now if I pull it apart I can do the whole timing set in the front end but that’s about it. Likely wouldn’t be doing oil pump or anything under the valve covers. The gasket leak must be slow, because if the truck sits an hour or so it has no rattle. Just if it sits a long time.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also watch those FordTechMakeULoco videos. He pretty says that many of these problems were due to the original Oil Pump just not being up to the task. That is why Melling developed the High Volume pump. He goes on to say that this is highly recommended. I don't have video linked, but I'm sure you've dug through much of what he covered with the playlist.

I don't have a 3v, but if I did, I'd certainly replace that pump if I was already opening up the engine.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You know the laws of engineering supersede the laws of economics. The question is whether the oil pump is bad or not. If it's bad and you don't change it, you're screwed. But it's probably not bad. I think most people change them on the small chance it is and for added protection of the improved pump and the hope they'll never, ever have to go in there again.

Your plan's a good one. Check the oil pressure. Since money's a big consideration here, you can leave the old one in if it's okay. You you had the bucks, you'd change it. Or deliver pizzas at night to make the $400 for a pump and sleep better.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like the plan of attack. I do remodeling/renovation for work so no interest in delivering pizzas at night lol. You just feel it cutting back from summer hours to part time. Had I not bought a boat last month I wouldn’t even be considering skimping on the pump. You know what Boat stands for....Think I’ll check oil pressure and see what I find. It’s not pressing either so if I need to wait and beat the chain guides to death in the process so be it.

Last edited: