5.4L Triton timing set, replace oil pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No hiccups or misfires today still running good and proper. That’s a wrap.

Great job on this, J!

I've read almost all of this thread from start to finish and am in awe how you overcame this b*tch of a job. Most people would've abandoned and towed it into a garage. Congrats on a job well done and on your perseverance! It is truly commendable!

I've noticed mine rattling more now at startup, even though I don't drive it that much. I already have the Melling high volume pump, cast iron gasket-less Melling tensioners and Melling guides. I also have 12 roller-followers for the passenger bank, even though it's not knocking (yet).

What would you say the most important step is to prevent the mishap which happened to you, when the timing screwed itself up once you took the tension off the chains? Does the engine have to be set at top dead center (TDC) prior to removing tension on the chain? Or do you need to lock the cams somehow?

I've never done this kind of a job on a Ford before. I did a timing set on a V6 Nissan truck from the 90's (belt, water pump, etc), but this is a whole different beast... the Nissan looked like a piece of cake compared to this VVT wonder. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great job on this, J!

I've read almost all of this thread from start to finish and am in awe how you overcame this b*tch of a job. Most people would've abandoned and towed it into a garage. Congrats on a job well done and on your perseverance! It is truly commendable!

I've noticed mine rattling more now at startup, even though I don't drive it that much. I already have the Melling high volume pump, cast iron gasket-less Melling tensioners and Melling guides. I also have 12 roller-followers for the passenger bank, even though it's not knocking (yet).

What would you say the most important step is to prevent the mishap which happened to you, when the timing screwed itself up once you took the tension off the chains? Does the engine have to be set at top dead center (TDC) prior to removing tension on the chain? Or do you need to lock the cams somehow?

I've never done this kind of a job on a Ford before. I did a timing set on a V6 Nissan truck from the 90's (belt, water pump, etc), but this is a whole different beast... the Nissan looked like a piece of cake compared to this VVT wonder. Thanks in advance!

The key is to make sure the tensioner arms are on the correct banks lol. That is how I lost time because it went loose. Once I checked my before pic I realized I had them in wrong. Just be sure to take a before pic once the cover is off because unlike the tensioners and guides they aren’t labeled clearly for each bank.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bretbrat