5W-20 Ford recommended oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elvisinflorida

Reaction score
My 2004 EB Expedition with 5.4L 2 valve @83K mi.has the recommendation from Ford of 5W-20. I've heard from a number of sources that for here in Florida it would be better to kick up the second number to 30 or 40. They say that 20 is not heavy enough.

Is there anything definitive on this?

Last edited:

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This question is highly opinionated and discussion can get a bit heated too. My opinion is that a bit heavier weight oil won't hurt anything in the warmer climate. If you run conventional or semi-synthetic(labeled fully synthetic) oil then it might even be a good idea.

I'm pretty sure I used 5W-30 for a year, could have been 0W-30 though, until 5W-20 was available in preferred brand of oil. I run 100% synthetic oil though and live in northwest Virginia. I don't see a reason to change from 100% synthetic oil 5W-20 and high end(high capacity) oil filters though. With 275k miles and yearly oil changes since new I think I have the proof to back it up.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2004 EB Expedition with 5.4 L 2 valve has the recommendation from Ford of 5W-20. I've heard from it number of sources that for here in Florida it would be better to kick up the second number to 30 or 40. They say that 20 is not heavy enough.

Is there anything definitive on this?

You’ll probably get a variety of answers to this question.

I have always followed the recommendation of the manufacturer - which is listed in the vehicle owner’s manual. It should include the viscosity as well as a manufacturer’s specification (not all oil of the same viscosity will meet the specification).

Some manufacturers list an alternative oil type for extremely hot or cold weather operation.

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've put 5w-30 in my '04 eb 5.4l 2v for the past 5 years and it's running great at almost 160k miles. Over time your oil will shear to a lighter weight anyway so I like starting off with a heavier weight.

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put 5-30 full synthetic in my 05. It burns some so it helps in that. Started doing it at 140k. Now has 193k. Every 5k miles I change it. Add a quart about every 800-1000 miles.

Uberexpy

Reaction score
I’m running full synthetic 5w30 since I went to the high flow/pressure oil pump when I replaced the roller followers, lash adjusters, timing chains/gears/guides, and the VCT components at 100k. My last oil change, the dealership in Hagerstown, MD put in 5w20, contrary to my request, and I had to add 1qt at every other fuel fill up. I’m at the dealership in Chambersburg, PA right now getting the oil changed and specified full synthetic 5w30. I’ll see if my oil consumption goes back to about 1qt per 1k miles.

OP
OP
Elvisinflorida

Elvisinflorida

Reaction score
My 2004 EB with 82K mi consumes one qt 5W30 per 6K mi in Florida.

Last edited:

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 08 expedition with 200+K miles, I have run it on 10W30 (Mobil 1) since new and it still doesn't use or burn any oil. I thought 5w20 grade was too runny for the Texas heat.. I understood that Ford went from a 10W30 rating to a 5W20 rating for EPA emission reasons (not because it performed better (but I could be wrong!!)). Basically it seems a lot of people have used 5W20 and a lot have used 10W30 and none have seen any issues, so the choice is yours. I will stick with my 10W30 as I feel comfortable with it. I don't think you can wrong with either, just use a good quality Synthetic oil and your engine will run for many years!!

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
315k using 5w30 full synthetic for about 6 to 7 years. As @Gary Waugh stated about EPA is correct so Ford can hit the fuel economy number. Note: My engine is as is from the factory including original cam phasers etc

GaryH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm here in Texas where I imagine it gets a bit hotter than Florida on average. Been using the factory recommended 5W20 in my 03 for 17 years with no problems. Doesn't use oil between annual changes at around 5k to 6k miles.