5w20 fully syn mobil 1. Oil Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron1978

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ive been running this oil 5 w20 fully syn with the mobil 1 syn oil filter, is this a good oil to run in a 2014 5.4l?
I live in Mississippi weather gets 100 degrees in summer and 20's in winter.
Any advice??

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fordtechmakuloco recommends 5W30 and some here follow that recommendation. Others run 5W20. Some run synthetic, others conventional. Imho, either weight/type is fine and the real deciding factor on whether your engine will last is checking your oil often and changing it on time.

btw that oil has a double promo right now. You can get a coupon for $5 off at Walmart here and a rebate for up to $17 back here. Both offers are directly through Mobil.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The main question is how often do you change your oil? Mobil1 is good synthetic oil I run it in my wife’s Highlander because it is the cheapest 0w20 and synthetic is a requirement. Not sure I have even seen a conventional 0w20.
As for the Expedition I change at 5k miles so fully synthetic is nothing more than throwing money away.
Motorcraft synthetic blend certainly will be holding up just fine at 5k under normal driving conditions.

OP
OP
Ron1978

Ron1978

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll be doing 5k oil changes, why does some run 5w30?? Benifits ?

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doing 5k changes you are wasting money with synthetic.
Ford switched to 5w20 in the early 2000s for gas mileage purposes they claim.
The Ecoboosts are back to 5w30.
Motorcraft 5w20 is cheap at Walmart in 5 quart jugs. If they call for 5w20 use that.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll be doing 5k oil changes, why does some run 5w30?? Benifits ?

Most agree that the 5w-20 and even 5w-30 was for mileage not longevity. 5w-30s have improved since the early 90s when they were all going to them and full syn has always given more protection.
The ford 3v and even other ford engines have a good deal of issues with timing chain noise esp at start up and tensioner and cam phaser issues and a lot of them leak at a gasket on the tensioner that is oil pressurized to tighten the chain.
The 5w-30 is just a bit thicker and seals the leak better and keeps things working properly longer.
I would use 5w-30 in any of them in any normal climate.
I would even use 10w-30 in 2v and 3v in temps over 50.
I ran a 95 4.6 in a lincoln for 6+ years on mobil 1 15w-50!!! People freak and say it is terrible to do. Have a friend witha 94 or 95 4.6 with about 300K on it that has been pouring 15w-50 Rotella conventional diesel oil through it as it leaks out and blows though leaky valve stem seals. It has been -13F and it hasn't blown up yet.

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Question: How well does Rotella diesel oil work in our relatively newer Expeditions? Reason I ask, Shell’s Rotella motor oil was the cure-all in my ’66 T-Bird because of the higher zinc levels…does that benefit translate to the 3V Triton engine? Or, is the mileage on that same V8 Triton engine the deciding factor?
Bottom line, I still have 5-20 Valvoline running thru my Expy's veins...

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They now offer Rotella for gas trucks and suvs.
Not sure how long it has been out but the first time I saw it was last week when I went to get oil for the Highlander.
https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/products/gas-truck-synthetic-engine-oil.html
It is a $1 more per 5qt jug at Walmart than Mobil1
Rottela is pretty much king for diesels so I am thinking about swapping next change.

Whole point of running Diesel Rotella is its NON-compliance with gasoline oil regulations....afaik

Imho stick to 5w40 Rotella T6 (Diesel)