6.0 powerstroke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Griffin85

Reaction score
So I've come across a doner vehicle for my first gen expedition and plan to remove if from the1/2 ton frame and set it on a 3/4 ton frame. Any suggestions or known modifications ?

JVinOlathe

Reaction score
I am confused. You want to replace the Expedition engine with a 6.0 Powerstroke?
First, the Expedition has a 1/2 ton frame while the Powerstroke likely comes from a truck with 3/4 frame, so it look like you have it backwards.
Second, you are replacing the Expy engine with a heavier one which will likely require upgrading the front end. Also, you are moving from gas to diesel which mean all the electronics will need to be transferred as well.
Unless you are very knowledgeable and have the proper facility to do the work yourself, the cost would be prohibitively expensive.
FWIW, the early 6.0 Powerstroke engines are considered lemons and you have to go through an expensive ($5K) process called bullet proofing in order to have it work reliably.
In short, you are looking at $5k-$10K to do the modification and you end up with first generation Expedition that is still worth, at best, only a couple of thousand dollars even with the modifications. You are much...and I mean MUCH better off selling the Expedition and getting a comparable Excursion. Just my opinion.

brhulen

Reaction score
Well I think anything is possible given enough time, effort and money! The 6.0 Liter oil burner was one heck of an engine if as previously stated its properly bullet proofed. The primary issue with them and most diesels is they are so horribly strangled by government mandated emission controls. Your modifications should include at a minimum EGR delete, oil cooler upgrade, ARP head studs, upgraded head gaskets, upgraded injectors, injector pump, turbo and the list goes on forever. If you're bound and determined to do a diesel swap then put in a 6.7. You still should delete the EGR and DEF. I've owned and driven every one of the Ford diesels since the first 6.9 in 1984 and am currently driving the 6.7 in a F350KR and I've suffered all of the problems with them. To date the 6.7 is the winner and relatively problem free. I also agree the Excursion is a good starting point and then do the 6.7 swap. Even then the electronics are going to be a bear. If you simply want the diesel without all the electrical wizardry then find an old normally aspirated nonturbo 6.9. With all this in mind, have fun with your project and keep us all posted with photos.