6-Speed manual tansmission conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spolcyn

Reaction score
Clydesdale,
I googled DP Tuner and it looked like they only offered diesel tuning. Are you saying that a computer from an f-250 even if it is from a similar series should only be used as a temp fix while I am getting mine programmed?

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They do gas as well. Call em. I trust (in the PSD world) *** Diesel Tuning (Utah) more than anything/one. DP was their recommendation to me.

Yes, if the series is similar, if exact, no need to ref-lash, was what I got out of his conversation with me.

Sir.Gregory

Reaction score
Looking good. How do you like it so far? You live in Lander? I worked up at Boysen this summer with the game and fish. I'll have to meet up with you sometime when I'm in the area to see this beast in action!

99, My Expedition is parked in the parking lot of the apartments behind the Arby's on Grand Ave! :p My buddy's Bronco should be Parked out front of them on Garfield. We should meet up sometime when I get back from Kosovo (next September) Try not to cringe too much when you see the shape its in, mechanically though its runnin like its new :)

And Bolt-On same go's for you, I have friends up in Lander, we'll have to meet up next time I head up there, I'd love to see your handi-work first hand!

Tha1Mike

Reaction score
You are a freaking Maguyver. Man I am so impressed with all your work. I need friends like you. Good shit. What you do makes me think I want to do it, but I would have a scrap pile sitting in the garage for months and then I would end up buying a mustang Gt 500 **** it. You rock dude.

CR_Magruder

Reaction score
Tricking the PCM

Don't know if you solved your problem with not being able to shift into 4L by now; but here is how I solved that problem on my 2003 when I installed a manual M5R2 5-speed.

The PCM wants to "see" a neutral condition, so I hard-wired the leads on the transmission connector going into the PCM. The PCM now thinks that it is always in neutral. It will shift into 4L, but I get an "advance trac" error shortly after leaving the driveway in 2H. This may be related to not having the speedometer connected yet. Your tone wheel and pickup mount is the bomb! I am mounting a disc with a 6-hole pattern on the front of the rear driveshaft, then fabricating a mount for the sensor so that the axis of the sensor is parallel to the driveshaft and held away from the face of the disc about 0.030".

In the diagram below, you have the details of what goes on in the DTRS-- digital transmission range sensor of a 4R70W. Look at the DTRS box and imagine that the "needles" from the center post of each "PRND21" arc move together for each gear change. The default position for the diagram as it is shown is Park. So if you were to evaluate the connections that are made when in reverse, the pointer will move on all 7 connections. On the far left-hand arc, pin 9 will be connected to pin 11. On the second arc, pin 10 will be open, and so on.

In our case, we want the PCM to see a neutral condition all the time to go into 4L, since the former auto transmission must be in N and the brake pedal depressed. Of course I know that I need to be stopped to shift into 4L, but Ford could not count on every owner being that astute, so they had the PCM prevent the transfer case from shifting unless the auto trans was in N.

To communicate a Neutral condition to the PCM, pins 19, 17 and 20 on connector C175T were hard wired to pin 27 on the same connector C175T. C175T is the big connector that goes into the PCM. I put a couple of resistors in parallel that would get me 270 ohms between pin 17 and 20.

When I get my OSS sensor connected to the pulse wheel on the front of my driveshaft, I will put the signal across pins 27 and 25 as shown below.

For the clutch pedal, there are (on my switch anyway) a number of choices. I had some normally open and some normally closed switches. I found a set of pins that was normally open when the pedal is at rest and closed when all the way down. I connected this set of pins to pins 10 and 12 that came from the DTRS. This is so the start circuit will work with the intended safety funtion.

For reverse, I connected the switch on the transmission to pins 9 (LB/PK) and 11 (VT/Wh) which are wires that came from the former automatic on connector C167 (the one going into the DTRS). This turns on the reverse lights with the switch from the manual trans. My connector was missing from the transmission, but I got a new one from Rock Auto.

I got my wiring diagrams from a genuine Ford DVD service manual. I bought mine from a company called Taylor Automotive, which no longer sells them. You may have to go to the Motorcraft web site to buy one.

4r70wdtrsmarkup2.jpg
[/URL]

If you need other diagram sections, just let me know and I can create pdf or jpg images.

Thanks for documenting your transmission swap here-- great work and nice write-up.

CR

OP
OP
B

Bolt-on

Reaction score
Magruder, you rock! I haven't gotten an engine tune or tried to fix the 4-low yet. Everything else is still working great. That's the problem, now that it's driving I just want to drive it.

I bought paper Ford Expedition factory service manuals but I didn't manage to do the hard work that you did to sort out the PCM workaround. Next time I get the Expedition into the shop I will try the connections you laid out. It seems spring has put all non-emergency service work on hold.

I like your idea of putting a ring on the driveshaft. I think I'd do it at the differential end since there may be changes in clearance at the transmission slip joint. I still don't know what the tolerance is for the sensor clearance.

I didn't get any wiring with my clutch pedal, so no interlock. Sometimes it is handy to start it in gear, or to use the starter to move the vehicle. At least that's what I tell myself since I haven't managed to make an interlock. Years ago I had a windshield repair shop reach through the window and start my van in gear. It was a '98 E150 that I had converted to a manual transmission and IFS 4wd. They said they were going to use my van to jump start a dead car. The van burned out in reverse and drove through their glass garage door before stalling. I got a couple of little scratches on the back and a free windshield. Nothing wrong with having an interlock!

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great mod! I love manual transmissions! So much easier to maintain and work on. Plus f a gear does go out you just go around it, lol!

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
jumped on here tonight to see if I caould find DP tuner's name. Had forgotten what they were....

Re-Flash HAS to happen for mine, runnability is almost nil, and I want a reflash, before I throw $ at Basic Tune up stuff.