600 miles enough for break in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nytimes770

Reaction score
Will be going in 500 miles road trip round trip. Mostly highway driving. Thinking long term, is it too early to take if truck only has 600 miles on it

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will be going in 500 miles road trip round trip. Mostly highway driving. Thinking long term, is it too early to take if truck only has 600 miles on it
Take it. This will be a great trip to achieve the break in mileage of 1000 miles. If you check with your owners manual it says no towing for the first 1000 mile break in period so any highway driving will be totally fine. You have nothing to worry about... unless you are wanting to tow.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should avoid constant engine rpm for extended periods of time. For the first trip I did not use cruise control and made sure to change the speed frequently.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should avoid constant engine rpm for extended periods of time. For the first trip I did not use cruise control and made sure to change the speed frequently.
My experience with the 10 speed tranny is such that the gearing rarely allows for consistent RPM’s for very long if at all, even with cruise. This may just be the area I live versus somewhere flat as a pancake like Kansas.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did a 500 mile round trip the day after I picked it up...had 12 miles on the clock when I left. That was 2 years and 26,000 miles ago, no engine issues whatsoever.

Don’t floor it, don’t set the cruise control and stay there for 3 hours, and don’t see how fast it’ll do 0-100-0. Otherwise you’ll be just fine. Personally I think a road trip (assuming you’re following the break-in instructions) is a great way to learn your new vehicle.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went on a road trip during break-in. I used cruise control. I put the transmission in manual mode and shifted gears every 5 to 10 minutes to vary the rpm between 1200 to 3500 rpm.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Rent a car for the long trip. I always do. Leave the new one in the garage. I had a 18 wheeler, throw up a rock and ding the hood of my last rental. Hertz has $9/day damage insurance. It was covered. Imagine that was your brand new ,500mi vehicle? In 2013, the car in the next lane, hit a deer. It pushed it, into my lane and I ran the body over. It tore the front bumper off the rental. That time again, Enterprise ate the damage. I Always get the extra damage insurance. Cars get trashed on long trips, in and out. You will also save yourself, a full detail.