63000 “certified” 3.5L eco boost replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just finally got my truck back. To say there were complications would be an understatement. As said above, I was going on pay over the top to put a brand new engine in, rather than the 63000 certified one. For a few weeks, I was told it was backordered. Then I get word the engine is just straight up discontinued, so I was left with being “forced” to accept the 63000 certified one. It runs well, there’s a few things I have questions about. When I was putting my catch can back on, I noticed the radiator coolant reservoir is greenish now, so either they put the wrong coolant in, or the engine received had residual incorrect coolant in it. There’s also a “sucking”/exhaust leaking sound I hear near the passenger footwell when I give it some gas. I start to hear it when I give it enough (or more) to get to go to about 3500rpm before shifting. Assuming it’s related to a highish boost scenario. At the end of the day, this job (at the dealer) would have cost over $9000, so as far as the warranty company goes, I’m coming out ahead of what I put in as far as that contract. Not I love with the situation, but it could’ve been far worse if this happened 3000 miles later.
As far as the two concerns, am I being not-picky? More so thinking the coolant may be more so than hearing a new noise from the turbos.

thanks for the advise, all.

Brons2

Reaction score
That's a pretty sordid story. At first I thought they were lying to you about the engine being discontinued, but sure enough, I went to Tasca Ford Parts and both the long block and short block are discontinued for this vintage of Expedition/Navigator/F150/Transit. The crankshaft is also discontinued, which I think is the source of the issues, because the cylinder block and many other engine parts are still available. You could piece one together if you can find a crankshaft. What a charlie foxtrot.

I would run the engine for a bit and do an oil analysis after maybe 1000 miles to make sure there's no coolant in the oil or anything else amiss like excessive bearing wear or anything.

[edit] appears this service assembly long block is available:

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your telling me Ford remanufacturing does new 5.4 Tritons but no 1st gen EcoBoosts?? Wtf is that, or are you talking a new long block?? Ford does have a reman program where they redress and redo all internals. Still a new engine basically. If you are saying the crank is discontinued I don’t think they can reman though. That is very strange.

Just checked Tasca Ford, no issue with 5.4 crank availability. Wonder if it’s COVID related.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your telling me Ford remanufacturing does new 5.4 Tritons but no 1st gen EcoBoosts?? Wtf is that, or are you talking a new long block?? Ford does have a reman program where they redress and redo all internals. Still a new engine basically. If you are saying the crank is discontinued I don’t think they can reman though. That is very strange.

Just checked Tasca Ford, no issue with 5.4 crank availability. Wonder if it’s COVID related.
New long block.